Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new with these trucks, but work in the automotive industry for a career, so I know what to expect.

I just picked up a 94 Disco, 107K, white, leather, safari rack, and so on. I had a few questions:

1. this thing has a wicked lifter tapping noise, do the heads need to some off to swap out lifters?

2. Will Series 2 headlights bolt into the series 1 without too much work?

3. Where are the sports to catch a trailer light at (has hitch, but no light plug)

4. What is the CORRECT operation of the tail lights? Are the lights on the body, just marker lights? Or are they brakes too? Are the corner markers next to the headlight supposed to illuminate with the parking lights?

5. When I turn on the turn signal, another light flashes briefly at the same time (just once). It is green and is a shape of some sort??

6. How do you reset the "maintainence" light, not the CEL???

Thanks.

I am sure I will be here often, I am a car abuser. :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
#4- marker lights. The parking lights a small bulbs inside the headlight.
#5- the green light means your factory trailer wiring is working. There should be a round plug behind the right tailight. At least that is how the Rangie is.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
tnomud said:
I am new with these trucks, but work in the automotive industry for a career, so I know what to expect.

I just picked up a 94 Disco, 107K, white, leather, safari rack, and so on. I had a few questions:

1. this thing has a wicked lifter tapping noise, do the heads need to some off to swap out lifters?

3. Where are the sports to catch a trailer light at (has hitch, but no light plug)

4. What is the CORRECT operation of the tail lights? Are the lights on the body, just marker lights? Or are they brakes too? Are the corner markers next to the headlight supposed to illuminate with the parking lights?

5. When I turn on the turn signal, another light flashes briefly at the same time (just once). It is green and is a shape of some sort??

Thanks.

Hello and welcome to the LR family.

1. Make sure there is no exhaust leak, the usually leak between the exhaust manifold and the downpipe.

3. Check on the PS behind the plastic cover under the tailights, there should be a round plug there.

4. Tailights: work as brake lights, fog lights, reverse lights, etc... the side lights and the ones on the bumper turn on when the lights go on.

5. That's the trailer light, don't worry about it.

6. Little maroon box on the PS footwell, just stick a paper clip in hole to reset it.

7. Lift, cheapest would be to put the rear springs in the front and buy HD springs for back. Or you can make your own spacers with $18 of 2" square tubing, or you can have the spacers made out of alluminum for around $32 for all four or you can get some Big Blue springs for around $250.

8. 265/75 with a 2" or higher will be fine.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Dude, just wheel it, rock it, mud it, forget all that other ****. When you break it, we'll tell you how to fix it. Hey, you got a cute sister? :D

Yeah, yeah, yeah, welcome to the Rover site, yada yada yada, anyways, you got a cute sister? Or a daughter who is 18? :buttrock: :dunno:

·
Series Moderator
536 Posts
tnomud said:

Thanks.

I take it yours is a V8 if so anything over 100k will be in need of a new camshaft and tappets (followers) the heads need not be removed only the inlet manifold and assoc equipment to get into the valley and the timing chest on the front to remove the camshaft hould take no longer than a day if you do it yourself.
ONz

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
please ellaborate on the lift deal. (tubing, springs, and/or spacers). How much will this net me?

I got the 265/75/16 Yokohama Mud Terrains on the way. Hella Rallye 4000 Xenons in the trunk, and 4 Hella Rallye 500's for the rack ready to go on.

Gotta rip those dumb OE step bars off ASAP.

Will some 50 weight quiet down those lifters? Synthetic any better than conventional oil? Ever try a motor flush or ATF in the crankcase?

Thanks for the pointers folks...........

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Dude, put in some Gunk engine cleaner nad follow the directions, then run Castrol Synthetic blend 20w-50 oil and substitute two quarts with Lucas oil stabilizer. Should do the trick for your lifters - at least temporarily. But I think there is a thread on Dweeb telling you how to tighten your lifters to correct this problem - do a search there (Sorry Serg, not promo-ing another site, just pointing him in a direction to alleviate a problem).

As far as #5 goes, that light with briefly flash just to let you know that the trailer lights are operational, as in, there is no short in the wiring. When it doesn't flash, worry that your trailer's lights are not working - but if you don't use a trailer, don't worry about it.

Cheapest way to lift a Disco?? Depends what you want to do with it. Do you want to put bigger tires? For what purpose? Anything more than 2" you are asking for a heapload of trouble in castor angles, driveline issues, loss of power. If I were you, call John at 4x4ag (one of the sponsors of this site) or call Jason at Red Rhino. Tell them you want a 2" lift and they will set you up. If you check around on prices, call them back to give them a chance to at least match that other price. The lift is easy to do - OME springs and shocks might be the cheapest way to go. We can talk you through it. Your Bilsteins should be fine right now, but I guarantee you will want OME shocks to match your OME springs.

The best thing to do after your lift is to change out the driveline and get rid of the rubber coupling - ask John at 4x4ag about this. He will give you step by step instructions.

Anymore questions or need instructions on something, just ask or feel free to PM me.

Oh yeah, about that cute sister..... :D

·
Registered
528 Posts
did you see a pic of his sister or something? i dont see where the sister inquery is coming from?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Are the 4 Hella Rallye's in addition to the two already on your truck? If so, you will need to upgrade your alternator, as it won't be able to cope. Even if you are only going to run just four of the Hellas you will probably need to upgrade as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the advice.

I come from the lifted Jeep scene (http://photos.yahoo.com/tnomud) for pics. Had a few with lockers, big lifts, Ford Axles, and so on. I ride/race motocross and take my trailer and bikes places that require a somewhat built truck.

I have the Rallye 4000 Xenons that only draw 35 watts, shouldnt be too much of a draw.

No hot sister. I got a sister, but she is a bit manly looking and I think she likes girls? I got a smokin hot wife, I'll have to post some pics in exchange for good tech advice. I got some good pics too. :D She has a hot sister, but she's married too and is kind of a pain in the arse.

I got the truck pretty cheap and knew about the lifter noise prior to buying it. Its a clean, never in salt, 94 with all the BS that is standard. It came with the brush guard, safari rack, and everything but the rear wiper works. It has just over 100K miles and has never been hit. I paid $4900 for it, did I do OK?

I used to work for MrGasket and can get parts cheap still. I might just get an Erson cam and lifters for this thing. How hard is a cam job on this thing? I did one on a few small blocks before, and did my 454SS in the truck (not a fun job). I am going to try to flush out the oil system today. I am hoping it is just something jammed up in a lifter. The motor looked almost as sludgy as out VW 1.8T motor does (bad sludge motor).

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
It's an OK set up but how tired are your springs? If you add the spacers to tired springs, you will still have too much sagging. If I were you, I'd go a whole new set up all around with springs and depending on how old youe bilsteins are, might want to replace those while you are in there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.