Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys. im intrested in buying a discovery and was wondering if i might be able to get a bit of advice. the one im looking at is a 94 es model thats clocked just over 240kms. recently been put on lpg. What mechanical faults should i be looking for with a disco thats done this many kms?? do they still run quite well with this at this time?? id appreciate any info you could swing my way. cheers, newbie

·
Registered
94 Posts
Should be pretty cheap to pick up a 94 with that many miles. With that many miles it's better not to start with "disco" related problems but rather "high mileage" problems, like worn out seals, bushings and gaskets. Make sure you get a service record of when it had it's last work done on it. Get a car fax, and ask for the previous owners phone number so you can give them a call. I've found that previous owners have nothing to hide when it comes to vehicle history. Before I bought my 97 I called her and she said that the truck had always performed greatly and she had never had a problem with it. She told me she was going to give it to her son but thought the rover unsafe for her 16 year old. So she bought him a volvo wagon??! (poor guy). She even faxed me the complete service history. So not only did I have piece of mind but I had a complete list of things that had recently been done to it and it gave me a better idea of where to start in the event a problem came up (which it hasn't).
The main thing is that your buying a rover, you will not find a vehicle with more character and class, and it will give you many years of reliable service if your passionate about taking care of it . Rovers are quirky and each rover has it's own set of "ism's" which is what is so wonderful about these vehicles. Through time and time spent with your rover your appreciation for their off-road capabilites and design only intensifies.
So to sum it up, have all of the things checked out that might be a problem with any vehicle that has 240k miles, then narrow your scope down to disco specific problems which I've found to be mostly electrical "quick fix" stuff like sunroof wont open, back windows tend to not open after a few years and so on.
At 240k it's really up to you how long and well it runs. If it was any other vehicle than a rover I would tell you not to buy it at 240k, but if you add TLC you should have many years of outstanding service from the rover. If your still hesitant just scan this site and check out all the series rovers that are on here. These trucks are from the 50's and 60's and still run strong.

Enjoy

·
Registered
720 Posts
Bluemax09 has summed it up well. The truck should be really cheap but first find out (as much as you have time for) about it. How rusty is the body? How many owners? How many accidents? Pay the 1 -2 hour diagnosis cost but get professional opinions on the condition of all components - if you take it to the dealer, they will find dozens of things wrong with it which will help you get a better price. Up here in Canada, these 8+ year old Discos are everywhere so you can find a (one or two owner) truck that has been completely dealer maintained and garaged all its life. Are you a driveway 'tinker type' person, if not, these vehicles can be very costly to have maintained by anyone else. Will this be your primary vehicle or can you take lots of time to fix something yourself? We love our 96 5 spd but have never used it as our first vehicle.
BTW, the lady who sold Blue max09 her Disco was very wise and generous to give her son a Volvo wagon! As a retired teacher involved with teenagers for 3 decades, I have seen it all concerning youth and high-center-of-gravity vehicles, believe me the two do not mix well.
Let me stress, these are wonderful vehicles but they are not appliance-like Toyotas!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.