Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2k Disco 2 with 180k miles on it and I am rebuilding the motor to breath some new life into the old girl. She ran cool but had a worsening tap as the engine warmed up, after pulling the engine I found these and I am now almost certain they were the issue.

Also there was an issue were at high speed or under heavy acceleration it would smoke. I am not sure what the cause of this may be but With new rings, bearings all around, cam, lifters, pushrods and seals I am hoping to get another 80k out of her.

However one thing I have noticed is that the inner input shaft for the transmission has a little bit of slop in it, the outer one is rock steady. How concerned should I be about this. I have uploaded a video for anyone who doesn't mind helping out.

Input Shaft Video

Thanks in advance for any help, and special thanks to all of Disco Mikes posts , that man is a fountain of Disco knowledge.

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
That is a nasty looking set of lifters.
Have not seen any that bad in a while.
Looks like a small block chev from the 80s
Cam lifters chain and gear set. Oil pump..... What else are you doing to the engine?
Can't help with that shaft play but does seem like a lot.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is a full list...
Machine shop:
Cylinders honed
Heads clean and re seated
Chem dip all metal components
Maybe cam bearings

Me:
New rings
Crank rod bearings
Crank shaft bearings
Rear and front main seals
Cruciform seals
Oil gear
Timing gears and chain
Water pump
Head gaskets
Cam
Lifters
Pushrods

Cam bearings are tough because you will never get a better fit then factory, so as long as they are still in spec I will probably keep them. I have a spare set just in case thoug. The heads don't come off till Monday because I am waiting for a torque friendly hex head to take out the sai ports.

·
Registered
454 Posts
SAI on a 2000?

Keep with the updates because I plan on freshening up an engine soon myself. Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup it has SAI, is that rare for a 2K?

I got the heads off today. I was surprised how hard it was to find a 9mm allen key. Even my local fastener shop didn't have any in their kits or on their shelves, they did manage to find one in the back and lucky enough they don't normally sell them so they just gave it to me :).
I am happy to report that although there was some pretty nasty carbon build up the cylinders seem to be in pretty good nick. They all still have the cross hatching and I am not noticing any obvious sleeve damage.

I am a little concerned about the heads though, most of the valves are discolored white and I am not sure what would cause that. Any ideas?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dem Bearings

Got the block prepped for the machine shop today.

The good:
Crank bearings seem to be in pretty good condition for having 180k miles on them I was expecting them to be worse then they are. Of course I am still replacing them, it would be stupid not to.

The Bad:
Looks like I will have to do the cam bearings. The inner four are well within spec, however the front cam bearing has a groove in the center of it.

The Ugly:
The rod bearings were well worn as expected, however the ones for 7 and especially 8 were completely wrecked. I have a feeling that these may warrant some crank grinding which I was hoping to avoid as these cranks are surface hardened.

As always let me know what you guys think, or if you have any questions or suggestions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.