Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both of my rear brake lights (in body) are not working, only the center. I've had intermittent problems with them for a long time (have replaced bulbs etc, work temporarily, but then go out again. I need to have the whole light kit replaced. At the time I brought it in, one light was working so we were just discussing one light. Technician said just bring it in (he couldn't do it that day), it's easy to install and he could do it in 15 minutes at just the cost of the light.

Now the other brake light is out, and I called my service advisor at Landrover and he said it's going to take 1 1/2 hours to install both lights, and I know this guy is going to charge me for labor.

Question: How long should it take to install two rear body light kits? I don't want to be taken. Next question, do you think I should have an independent Import Auto shop do it? Labor's cheaper. Thanks for any input!! Michele
 

· LRO Founder
Joined
·
1,888 Posts
You mean they are telling you to replace the WHOLE tail light assembly because the light's keep burning out??? I SERIOUSLY doubt that is your problem! I would not replace the tail lights, unless there was some obvious corrosion issues with them internaly.

Get it checked somewhere else.. And if you do need to replace the rear lights, it's a simple screwdriver job. You can do it yourself... it's not a big deal.


Serg
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
1,031 Posts
Is it this or that?? Instructions to fix it below

Hello from Adam in NYC :drive:

Are the bulbs just off or they actually burnt out?

I just ran down to Baltimore from NYC and back and found out my rear passenger brake light did not work.

Went to my favorite work spot which has no audience, open the rear door and had to remove that jump seat (grrr. what a pain). The screws on the jump seat are the Torx type. Use a complete screwdriver set with all the necessary bits to save time.

I then open those panels with a Philips (star) screwdriver. You will see the access panels for the rear lights in the rear corners. There are little buttons you have to flip over to get access to the fastener.

In my 1996 D1, looking at the fixture for the lights,there are several knobs like those on a stove. Turn and the bulb comes out. I looked into the bulb and the filaments were whole. Took the bulb out of the holder and saw that the metal connection had corrosion on it. Cleaned it with a strong brush and put it back in.

Light turned on. If you are doing it by yourself, use a heavy bag and lean in on the brake pedal. All the brake lights should then turn on.

You can also use an anti-theft device in a pinch.

Hope I was some help :wave:

PS Just had to do the rear door too. Rain got in and had to do the WD40 trick.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,506 Posts
LRDMICHELE said:
Both of my rear brake lights (in body) are not working, only the center. I've had intermittent problems with them for a long time (have replaced bulbs etc, work temporarily, but then go out again. I need to have the whole light kit replaced. At the time I brought it in, one light was working so we were just discussing one light. Technician said just bring it in (he couldn't do it that day), it's easy to install and he could do it in 15 minutes at just the cost of the light.

Now the other brake light is out, and I called my service advisor at Landrover and he said it's going to take 1 1/2 hours to install both lights, and I know this guy is going to charge me for labor.

Question: How long should it take to install two rear body light kits? I don't want to be taken. Next question, do you think I should have an independent Import Auto shop do it? Labor's cheaper. Thanks for any input!! Michele
If you are talking about a Discovery then most likely your alpine windows are leaking and water is damaging the tail lights. Unfortunately if the assembly is messed up you will have to change the whole unit. Fortunately they cost around $35 from Atlantic British. Like Adam mentioned it's a PIA to remove the cover if you have rear jumpseats. If you don't it's a piece of cake and should only take about 15 mins.

It's typical of the Disco to have this problem because of the water leaking in behind the panels. Trust me, remove your rear carpet and I'll bet you the cargo floor is wet.

Good luck.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
1,031 Posts
Which windows are the Alpine windows?

John C said:
If you are talking about a Discovery then most likely your alpine windows are leaking and water is damaging the tail lights.
It's typical of the Disco to have this problem because of the water leaking in behind the panels. Trust me, remove your rear carpet and I'll bet you the cargo floor is wet.

Good luck.
Are those the curved ones up on the top? And yes, the rug is damp, the door ,and the tailgate collect rust. Just had to do the seized rear door for the second time.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all your input everyone. It's a 97 Discovery. I just went out and tweeked the prongs on the bulb holder, and the brake light went on. I have done this before, and I think what the problem is is that the lamp gets jostled loose when I go over bumps in the road. I'll see how long this tweeking lasts, but when it goes out again, I'll probably need to go ahead an order a new assembly from British Atlantic.

Just wondering-Is it really easy to install these? Any special tools involved? I don't have a jump seat so that's not an issue for me. BTW, the rug is dry and no sign of water leakage, thank goodness I don't have that problem too (sorry about yours Adam). Thanks, Michele
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
1,031 Posts
More help and thanks Michele

LRDMICHELE said:
Thanks for all your input everyone....
Just wondering-Is it really easy to install these? Any special tools involved? I don't have a jump seat so that's not an issue for me. BTW, the rug is dry and no sign of water leakage, thank goodness I don't have that problem too (sorry about yours Adam). Thanks, Michele
Thank you Michele. Don't worry. Maybe I will turn the Discovery into a submarine.

:lol:

Back to the mission:

The plastic that holds all the lamps together is connected with a big electrical connector that you can pry off by hand or with a little help with a flat screwdriver. You can't help but notice it when you open the hatch.

Other than two functional hands, just expect to glow a little (that's sweat).

For a beginner, give yourself a hour and one half. Grab the tools and bring the cooler with ice and something you like to imbibe afterwards.:beer:

You need probably need to remove the lenses if you are doing a total swapout with a new set of receptacles. Inspect it first to see if you really have to replace it. I bet if you have one of those dentist tools with a curved pick or a tiny screwdriver, you can charm those connections back into submission.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DiscoJeff said:
Way to go Michele... Did you get both lights up and running or just one side. What about the back up lights? Or the running lights. Strange if only the brake lights go out. Did you get your tank fixed yet?
Thanks Jeff, yes I was very proud. I'm trying to be more of a do-it-yourselfer these days, especially because in addition to the Discovery, we just bought a 1979 VW Westfalia (pop-top van), and I have a feeling that it may require almost as much work as my 97 Disco, ha ha. Funny you should ask about the other brake light. When I started work, I put the weight on the brake (thanks for the tip Adam) and that other light came on. Not sure how that happened. It had just been off last time we had looked at it. Oh well, just intermittent I guess. It's those darn bulb holders. I'm thinking of attaching a mirror to my garage door so I can see if my lights are working before I drive!

I didn't check the back-up lights thank goodness, or else I might not have been alive to write you back! I'll check those with hubby tomorrow.

The dealer called back about scheduling the fuel tank replacement, but he needs the truck for at least 2 1/2 hours, but they'd prefer to have it all day. I guess I can part with it now that we have our trusty Westfalia, so it'll go in on May 4th. Take care guys and thanks, Michele ;)
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,506 Posts
Adam in NYC USA said:
Are those the curved ones up on the top? And yes, the rug is damp, the door ,and the tailgate collect rust. Just had to do the seized rear door for the second time.
Yes, those are the ones.

Also, on the rear quarter panel (square windows) the rubber around the window cracks at the corners. Just grab some black silicone and fill in those cracks if you don't want to replace the rubber.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
Sometimes the tail light housings get distorted from the heat of the bulb, causing the bulb holders to fit poorly. That has been my problem. I will eventually have to replace both of them. I bought a couple new bulb holders but they wouldn't fit due to the disfigurement of the tail light housing, so I will wait to use them when I get new housings. As far as access goes, on the passenger side I have a jump seat, and it is a little tight, but after I remove the access panel my 12 year-old son reaches his little arm in there and wiggles the bulb holder. He can also remove the nylon nuts that hold the light housing in if I need to take it out & "play" with it. On the drivers side, I can fit my hand in through the access in the storage area (no jump seat on that side) and take care of that one. Good luck, LRW
 

· Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LRWheelman said:
Sometimes the tail light housings get distorted from the heat of the bulb, causing the bulb holders to fit poorly. That has been my problem. I will eventually have to replace both of them. I bought a couple new bulb holders but they wouldn't fit due to the disfigurement of the tail light housing, so I will wait to use them when I get new housings. As far as access goes, on the passenger side I have a jump seat, and it is a little tight, but after I remove the access panel my 12 year-old son reaches his little arm in there and wiggles the bulb holder. He can also remove the nylon nuts that hold the light housing in if I need to take it out & "play" with it. On the drivers side, I can fit my hand in through the access in the storage area (no jump seat on that side) and take care of that one. Good luck, LRW
Thanks LRW. I'm sure that's what the problem is. What is the entire replacement that I would need to take care of the problem for good? I can order the parts from British Atlantic. If you know what it's called, That'd be great. Thanks, take care, Michele
 

· Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LRWheelman said:
Lamp Assembly - Left Hand - Rear - Directional (Amber) AMR5150G / Lamp Assembly - Right Hand - Rear - Directional (Amber) AMR5151G. Hope this helps! LRW
Hi LRW,
This will help me so much and I think it will help lots of others as well. Driving around I've noticed other Land Rovers with the same problem- one brake light out. Thank you, Take care, Michele :)
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top