Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I just purchased a 99 discovery I. I started having a few problems the other day in this order. Tachometer quit working (assuming alternator) then when I stopped the vehical the engine rev'd to 2200 rpm (a guess at the time) and has stayed rev'ing high since. I disconnected the battery (mistake) while trying to diagnose the alt. and when I started back up my radio reads "CODE" (what the heck is that all about). I looked under the passenger seat for the fault code, but is this the location for a 99 or do I need a OBD-II sensor? Then my tach started working again, but the engine still stays at 2200 rpm (now I know for sure). Please help as I just orderd the service manual (no owners maual either), also I am about 200 miles from a LR dealer. But on the good side I love my Discovery with its faults (pun intended) I am sure to be a life long Land Rover owner.

Thanks in advance.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, I got my code and tried it but nothing yet, I understand from other threads that it might take some time. But back to my bigger problem, finding out why my engine idle is so high. :confused And what about finding codes??

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
As for the the high idle, code be the idle control unit which is located on the top, towards the rear of the intake manifold and it is in the middle of that large looped hose.
For codes, you need someone to scan, you have an OBD2 system.
Good luck,
Mike J.

· Registered
909 Posts
I just had a high idle problem on my 96 Disco. I had to get the computer purged. It was an adaptive memory problem. Your problem is probably about the same thing. It cost me $75.00 but it will give you an idea what, if anything is wrong with your Rover. This is really a good idea if you are a new owner. Let you know how everything else is working on the truck. The codes will be cleared too. Check lrx.com for mechanics in your area that can work on your truck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.