Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

This is my first post here but Im sure wont be my last. I just purchased a 1999 Land Rover DII. Ive always wanted one. Its in great great shape EXCEPT, it wont run. Got it for a steal though. Ill need to post up more info i know but here is what I know now. It will start, fire about twice then the power will be cut to the coills and it throws an interlock or safety code. The CPS has been replaced with no change. The BCM has been swapped with a known good one and still no change.

any ideas?

Thanks guys for any help or direction you can point me.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Sure hope you didn't pay more then $500 for it.
How mechanical are you and how many miles on the engine.
You can not swap out the BCM without either having it reprogrammed by a dealer or if used, you must install the ECU along with the BCU.
If you want some help with this, send me your number and I' call you back.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure hope you didn't pay more then $500 for it.
How mechanical are you and how many miles on the engine.
You can not swap out the BCM without either having it reprogrammed by a dealer or if used, you must install the ECU along with the BCU.
If you want some help with this, send me your number and I' call you back.
I'm very mechanically inclined, bout 130,xxx miles on it. pm sent

·
Computer Nerd
802 Posts
What are the codes? Please post the exact numbers if you have them.

If it's a code for the security sync between the ECM and BCU, you might get lucky and be able to have someone with the correct computer re-sync it. I had to replace the computers in my 1999 D2. Like mike said, get both computers from the same car and you won't have to sync them. Might as well get the gauge cluster too, or else you'll have a blinking odometer.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Computer Nerd
802 Posts
Where are you located? Does your user ID refer to the Kaw Nation in Oklahoma?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Computer Nerd
802 Posts
no, I build turbo'd kawaski's in my spare time
Makes more sense. The one Kaw Native American I know is pretty laid back, certainly not a killer. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Makes more sense. The one Kaw Native American I know is pretty laid back, certainly not a killer. :)
never heard of them, I'll have to look them up.

it looks like I'll be taking the d2 to the dealer to be flashed tomorrow. I keep everyone posted

·
Computer Nerd
802 Posts
never heard of them, I'll have to look them up.

it looks like I'll be taking the d2 to the dealer to be flashed tomorrow. I keep everyone posted
Sometimes the dealer has trouble doing the flash with used parts. Their system seems geared toward replacing a part with new. It is possible to use a pre-used part though, my nanocom can do it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sometimes the dealer has trouble doing the flash with used parts. Their system seems geared toward replacing a part with new. It is possible to use a pre-used part though, my nanocom can do it.
:eek:

is there something specific I should tell them to help the process?

·
Computer Nerd
802 Posts
:eek:

is there something specific I should tell them to help the process?
I've not used the land rover computers, so I'm not sure exactly what their options look like. Someone posted once that the dealer couldn't install their used computer because the system said that the computer wasn't "new." My suggestion was to have them tell the system that they were replacing the BCU instead. I would think either one might initiate the security code learning process. But it might complain that the used BCU isn't new. I'm not sure. Sometimes I think the dealers have trouble just because they don't see older stuff anymore.

Maybe there is a routine to just learn the code hidden somewhere in the menus, that's the way the after market stuff like my nanocom works. I just click the link for learn security code.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've not used the land rover computers, so I'm not sure exactly what their options look like. Someone posted once that the dealer couldn't install their used computer because the system said that the computer wasn't "new." My suggestion was to have them tell the system that they were replacing the BCU instead. I would think either one might initiate the security code learning process. But it might complain that the used BCU isn't new. I'm not sure. Sometimes I think the dealers have trouble just because they don't see older stuff anymore.

Maybe there is a routine to just learn the code hidden somewhere in the menus, that's the way the after market stuff like my nanocom works. I just click the link for learn security code.
"nanocom" ? what is this and how do I get it?

·
Computer Nerd
802 Posts
"nanocom" ? what is this and how do I get it?
It's a small computer that plugs into the OBD-II port and can read/clear codes and change settings on most of the computers in a D2, P38 range rover, defender, and hopefully soon the LR3. (you have to pay extra for each model or system, but once you've got the license you can use them on as many of that type are car as you want. I can use mine on ANY V8 disco 2 I plug it into, but I cannot use it on range rover or defender)

Here is a video of it programming a key for the D2:

It can also be put in a gauges mode like a scangauge or ultragauge.

You can get it at black box solutions but it's not cheap, but I think it's better than going to the dealer especially if you have multiple different trips... like $100 one week for the computer issues you have, and $100 another time to program a key, and $200 or more to troubleshoot an ABS problem another time. Also, I had 2 D2 at one time, so I justified the price that way too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update!

I took my LRD2 to the dealer today to have them flash the BCM etc.....turns out it didnt need it. I showed them how it would start and then shut off 2 sec later. They were stumped...three of them...stumped. To make matters worse,now it didnt show any codes either. So they gave me a bill and sent me home. I came home and started looking myself.

unplugged the mass air flow....ran without shutting off. problem solved

1 - 16 of 16 Posts