Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
SCUBA Instructor
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, just became the proud owner of a 1998 Disco. :buttrock:

Please help me out with one very frustrating issue, I replaced a front turn signal bulb and now the it appears that both signals have shorted out. Black residue and that nasty ozone smell coming from the bulb socket. Now neither turn signals (nor the indicator light) work. Checked the fuse box and all fuses appear to be OK.

Help me out before I go crazy - also as a side note - the first time I tried to turn on the fog lights the switch shorted out the dash lights. :dunno:

·
Registered
106 Posts
oh shiat, dosent sound fun. I hate electrical probs, cause you have to follow each wire to figure out the prob. could be an exposed part of the wire is touching metal somewhere thus shorting out. Grounds could be loose. Check both fuse panels- one in the engine bay and the other undr the dash?

·
Registered
29 Posts
No light.....

A hint, check the voltage at the problem socket, 12 volt bulb will resist a 13.5 volt peak but not a 19 volt like I found on my rear signal light that kept burning, also I believe the wattage is important. By using a higher wattage bulb the light will be brighter and will burn faster. Hope this could help. There most be a voltage regulator somewhere. Could that be it ? I do not own a manual yet. It's coming, I cannot wait any longer. A lot of trouble shooting, electronic wise on my 1995 Disco I. Hang on and keep reading on the forums, best place so far for pertinent information.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
523 Posts
First:
Check the fuses, BOTH under the dash and on the engine compartment, since a varied array of circuits are controlled by more than one fuse.If still nothing, then try cleaning the connection on the base of the bulb that you replaced.Sometimes it gets rusty,moldy and may trigger a short.I remember a similar thing happened to me with an old Oldsmobile that kept shorting and blowing fuses for the whole interior lamps/dash lamps, only to find out that one of the cigarrette lighter bases on the rear seat area was very rusty and was shorting all the interior lamp/dash circuits.Cleaned/scraped it, and problem went away.
Carlos

·
Registered
909 Posts
Carlos is right. Check the fuses in the engine compartment. Open the hood, look to the left(passenger side), there will be a black box. There are some fuses under there. I have fog lights, the fuse is connected to the side marker lights, and the rear tail lights. If I turned on the Fog lights the fuse would blow. Then I would lose the side markers, and rear tail lights. Turned out to be a bad ground on the fog lights. Fixed 5k later no problems!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.