Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I just purchased a 2005 HSE in great shape with an excellent service history, love this vehicle! I travel on mountain backroads in crappy weather a lot. Got me through the blizzard Stella with ease. I've been making friends with the gremlins, thanks to the excellent posts on this forum! Here are some of the fixes that worked:
1. Key fob stopped working - Resoldered where the 3 green/white wires meet under the passenger door sill. They looked fine, but one was loose and seperated when I teased it out of the harness for a closer look. There was no evidence of water down there.
2. Multiple suspension faults - "Max speed 30mph", "HDC Not Available" etc... A new battery resolved them. I went with a Duralast Platinum H8-AGM.
3. Ashtray won't close - Removed the tray by squeezing tabs on either side with screwdrivers. The coiled return spring had popped out of its mount and fallen behind. The plastic mount had worn where the spring attaches. I superglued a strip of tin to the "T" end of the spring so it would grab what little plastic was left. Works fine now.
4. Headlights too low - I couldn't see far enough to follow the "2 second rule" at night. I adjusted them higher using the adjustment wheels on the back of the headlights. I hate the way these lights cut off just above the road. I adjusted the foglights higher too, for more ambient light above the xenon cutoff.
5. Cruise Control - Buttons would not work at times. I pulled the switch off the steering wheel, carefully dismantled it, and cleaned the contacts. Works fine now.
6. Sometimes the rear passenger door latch wouldn't lock, or the rear upper hatch wouldn't open. Resolved with lubricant spray.
Still to do:
1. The wiring harness under the driver's seat gets pinched between the carpet and the plate that holds the kick panel. One wire was broken (repaired). I'm not sure how to properly route the harness. Anyone have a photo?
2. Broken key in early style trailer hitch, and no wiring harness (odd this was missing). I may opt to replace the whole thing with the Atlantic British kit.
3. Missing scissors jack
4. Find crossbars and extended rails for the roof
5. Blower motor (behind glove box) sounds like a cricket. The noise stops when I brake (weird)
6. Faded trim - plan to try the heat gun trick
7. Recurrent Brake Bulb failure (using 21/5 bulbs)
Comments and tips are welcome!

·
1,854 Posts
Welcome! And good job! The LR3's are tanks!
The ashtray fix I will have to try on our west coast LR3. Was it the one in the middle?
Replace the plastic coolant Bleed Valve and the diff and TC oil. Check for sun roof and warped cowl water leaks.
Dave

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dave! The ashtray is between the two 12v sockets at the front of the center console. There is a TSB for replacing the ashtray carrier that shows how to remove it without tearing apart the console. "LTB00313 Ashtray Will Not Close / Ashtray Carrier Availability". The TSB says to replace the carrier, but I found that unecessary. I was able to repair where the coiled spring attaches to the carrier.

Thanks for the coolant Bleed Valve tip! I hadn't run across that in the forums, but a quick search shows it is a common issue. I plan to do the oils when winter is done (we get snow in May sometimes!). No sign of water leaks, but the sunroof rails have the cracking problem, and other plastics are getting aged, (cowl, headlight washers, steering wheel airbag housing).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update

Thought I'd give an update now that I've had this LR3 9 months. It has easily spent 15% of the time under repair or maintenance. I'm gettin tired of spending weekends and evenings under the truck or wondering if I'm gonna get to my destination! Fortunately the problems have been cheap DIYs, and I love driving it when it's happy.

7. Suspension lowering overnight, raising slowly. Found crack in dryer. Repaired with epoxy. $5

8. Right rear dropping to bump stops. Cleaned rear valve block. Works fine now. $0

9. Airline blew out of left front airbag, limped home. Replaced olive. Works fine. $1

10. Went to tow my boat to its mooring and found the trailer hitch stuck, with a broken key, and no wiring harness (odd this was missing). Unable to safely tow boat for summer launch, maybe next year. Drove the latch pin with a hammer to remove hitch and dismantled and cleaned hitch. Made a wiring harness. Works fine but key still broken $20

11. Discovered the scissors jack was missing. After research, replaced with aftermarket

12. Fuel line connector at front of tank disconnected itself, fuel all over the undercarriage, including exhaust. Towed home. Reconnected line and secured with zipties. $80 tow, $0 parts

13. Installed used LR crossbars $100 and cargo cover $75

14. Faded trim - chemicals help some. Heat gun trick didn't do much. $15

15. Intermittent no start, wouldn't finish self check, solenoid just clicked. Left me stranded several times. Cleaned all ground wires, worked fine for 2 months. No start returned (solenoid click). Adjusted shift linkage, no joy. Cleaned fuses, no joy. Pulled and tested starter, bad solenoid. Replaced with reman starter this week, but it just spins or grinds sometimes. Need to return it. $80

16. Cowl warped, water behind battery (electronics ok). Added weatherstrip to cowl, siliconed hood gasket, sealed edges of the plastic water channel that is under the cowl, duct taped over heater air intake. $10

17. Low voltage warning on radio, radio shuts off, battery good. Increased voltage threshold on radio hidden menu, worked. 0$

18. Lug nuts swollen, distorted, replaced all. $80

19. Recurrent brake light failure went away by itself

20. I now carry a spare brake switch and coolant tee as recommended. $35

Still to do:
1. The wiring harness under the driver's seat gets pinched between the carpet and the plate that holds the kick panel. One wire was broken (repaired). I'm not sure how to properly route the harness. Anyone have a photo?
2. Replace drivetrain fluids
3. Blower motor (behind glove box) sounds like a cricket sometimes. The noise stops when I brake (weird)
4. Find extended rails for the roof (so I can carry my guideboat)
5. Check drain tubes as a precaution

Comments and tips are welcome!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.