Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Support Our Troops
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My name is John and I live in upstate NY. Currently I own a 1997 Lincoln Mark viii and love it to death, but it is time to look for a different car. I have always liked the looks of the Discovery and found 1 that I am thinking about looking at and possible buying. It is a 1996 Discovery with just over 87,000 miles on it. He is asking $7,900 for it. I haven't seen it in person yet, but will be going to look at it in a few days.

I am wondering about what key items I should be looking at and what if any major problems a Discovery of this year might have. Dealer says it has the auto tranny, prem. sound, it has a brush guard with fog lights on it, the guard isn't a wrap around and only comes up in the middle of the fornt bumper. Other than that I don't have much more info on it until I go look at it that is.

the vin# is SALJY1246TA199789 if that helps at all. Any info you might have would be great.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
First go test drive it, if it feels right ask to take it to another shop, Rover shop, and have them look it over. If it still checks out OK then go back and get serious with the selling dealer, they are asking to much for a 96, work them down $1000 to $1500 and then you have something to talk about.
The market is not real stong on them right now even if it is a good truck.
Good shopping.
Mike J.

·
Support Our Troops
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem with taking it to a shop to look at is this, the dealer is hour north of me and I don't know any shops in that area. I can do just about anything with a car, but just not sure what are some common problem areas for these. I do plan on getting the price lower, I have seen alot of 97's in this range and other 96's at a lower asking price.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
So if you are somewhat mechanically savey, things to look at are oil leaks and how bad, headgasket issues, seepage oil in the coolant, loosness in the steering, power under ful load, transmission shifting, is it firm. check the brake rotors for thickness and check all the electrical features making sure everything works.
I realize it is not new, but just pick it to death.
Good luck, hope it works out for you and get back to us after you are an owner if you have any questions.
Mike J.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
apbtpetey said:
It is a 1996 Discovery with just over 87,000 miles on it. He is asking $7,900 for it. I haven't seen it in person yet, but will be going to look at it in a few days.

I am wondering about what key items I should be looking at and what if any major problems a Discovery of this year might have. Dealer says it has the auto tranny, prem. sound, it has a brush guard with fog lights on it, the guard isn't a wrap around and only comes up in the middle of the fornt bumper. Other than that I don't have much more info on it until I go look at it that is.

the vin# is SALJY1246TA199789 if that helps at all. Any info you might have would be great.
John,

I paid $6,500 for my 96 Disco with 88k miles 3 years ago. I purchased it from a lady just north of West Point. It needed new tires, new rear muffler, new shocks and a few small items (CC wasn't working...it was a broken vacuum hose).

Make sure there is no rust by the "B" pilars and open the rear door and look under the carpet for any rust. Check for power steering leaks, oil leaks and get underneath and look at the rear rotoflex, make sure there are no cracks.

I do all the work myself and buy most of my parts from Atlantic British (some say they are expensive but they have great customer service and I receive my parts the next day). All the aftermarket offroad parts I supply myself.

Good luck and feel free to give me or my partner (Adrian) a buzz if you need anything.

John C.
www.4x4ag.com

·
Registered
39 Posts
John, there are good deals to be found and I think you can get a better price on it with some negotiations. Def take it to a mechanic, even if it's not a LR dealer they will have more insight as to what you are looking at. I just bought my 96 5-speed with 98K on the clock from the original owner for 3000. I put in some more $$ to get her up to speed with new fluids, thurough check, replaced alternator and a few hoses. So for under 5000 I got a complete truck. Also try to get as much maintenance history on the Disco as you can. A good help when trying to diagnose what is about to need replacing.

Where in Upstate NY? I am origianlly from Cortland and while home for the holidays took my stock D1 out on some power line trails of the FLT.

·
Registered
39 Posts
" (CC wasn't working...it was a broken vacuum hose)."

Where the "F" is the vaccum hose for the cruise? I have looked and looked but to no avail, I am still stumped.

·
Support Our Troops
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info everybody. I planned to look over most of what has been posted, but I guess what I was really looking for is are there any common problem areas on a 1996 Discovery that I should know about?

for example key problems with the mark viii's would be a leaking air ride, upper ball joints(which are part of the upper control arm and not a separate part), Blend door arm (which breaks and keeps the vents blowing either cold or hot air no matter what temp u set it at). I was looking for stuff like this that I might other wise over look.

Asolo, I am about 45 mins. south of Albany and 2 hours north of NYC.

John C., I have 2 more Discoveries lined up to look at as well as this one. I will difinitly look you and your partner up if I need anything. I am about 90% sure I will be going with a Discovery, but I just hate giving up the Mark viii. Really a great car, just not something I can drive in the bad weather. I have done some performance mods to it and it just hates the snow and rain.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a 98 Disco and it is a great truck except everything leaks. Oil, Coolant, Power Steering and Brake Fluid. Dealer repairs are insanely expensive, at least 2 times what it costs for similar repairs at domestic dealers. If you can do most repairs yourself and you want/need a truly robust vehicle, a Disco is the way to go!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just got my 96 disco paid $5700 after tax and plates didnt check it much before I got it and am now haveing/had a few little problems like steering box leaking, a fog light dont work and the t/case shifter linkage broke or wasnt there all the way and a slight exhast leak. I have had to put in about $500 to fix everything cept the steering leak other then that everything else is working great so far. It had 90k miles on it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts