Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All

Just found this site (have been looking for a forum to join) and hope that you can help. I have a 110 300tdi csw which I love. Only had it for a few months but have clocked up over 7000 miles already! Want to start greenlaning and adding a few extras but that will be another thread at a later date. For now I need help if you can. WEnt to do an oil change last night and the sump plug was as tight as, eventually got it loose but it won't undue but evenm worse wont tighten up properley. Used her today and there are a couple of drops of oil on the sump plug (s**t). Need to find a landy garage that can help but haver recentley relocated to north essex. (Colne Engaine) In between Clochester/Chelmsford/Halstead. Dont know of any garages down here can any of you reccomend one. Hope to here from some one and look forward to talking again in the future about more exciting landy 'things'.

·
Series Moderator
536 Posts
plug

Hi,
Dont even start the engine if that sump plug decides to come out, BOOM.
I would remove the sump plug drain the oil and see if its the thread on the plug or the sump itself has stripped if its the plug then a replacement wont be had to get,If its the sump then also a replacement will be required and fitted along with a new sump gasket not a difficult job well within the scope of the DIYer.
Cheers ONz

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any ideas

Thanks for the reply I wondered how difficult it would be to get the whole sump off? The main problem is that the sump plug wont come out it just keeps turning. I can only assume that when the last oil change was done that the sump plug was cross threaded. Taking the whole sump off full of oil wont be the most fun job. Any suggestions on how to get the sump plug out. If I can do you think I will be able to get it re-threaded.

Cheers Mark

·
Registered
76 Posts
Get the oil sucked out through the dipstick hole - or just smash the sump with a long thin chisel. And then get another sump! Or weld up the one you just broke if your feeling adventurous....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
F*****g sump plug

It's come out about two turns and now wont come out any further or go back in. Thanks for the suggestions, think I will have to ordedr a new sump and try sucking the oil out of the top 1st. What do you reckon about 5 litres?

·
Registered
17 Posts
1. Buy a new plug
2. drill a small hole in the current plug - DO NOT ALLOW THE DRILL TO PENETRATE MORE THAN 5MM AFTER BREAKING THROUGH! the oil can then drain into the pan you previously put underneath - you DID didn't you?
3. go and have some tea
4. come back and have a look, if the oil is still running, go to 3 again
5. drill a bigger hole in the current plug (see comment in 2) and tap a thread in it. screw a bolt into the hole - not all the way - then get hold of the bolt with mole grips and pull down as you turn the plug, this should allow better threads to bite into the plug surround and withdraw the plug itself
6. remove the sump and wash away all the swarf from the drilling
7. refit the sump with a new gasket
8. fit new filter refill with new oil
9. Robert is your aunties sister.
10. please send a pint to my home! :beer: (not old oil either!)

·
Series Moderator
536 Posts
sump

stick a screwdriver behind the sump plug to lever the plug out while uncsrewing it,it should budge.
It is possible to remove the sump full of oil by placing a trolley jack under the sump,undoing all the sump bolts and carefully lowering the sump down on the jack but it is heavy.Would only do this as a last ditch effort.

Cheers ONz

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the advice boys I'll tackle it this weekend, assuming I can get a new sump in time. I'll let you know how I get on. Fingers crossed. And no I won't post a picture of me with 6 litres of oil of my head before you ask!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't know about you guys, but down here in South Africa there are mobile guys who will come to you, remove the offending stud or plug, drill out the hole and fit a heli-coil with the same diameter as your old stud or plug. Cheap and quick! Research that maybe!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Shame he lives 200 miles away

Otherwise it's not a bad idea. But to be fair I can't really blame him as I think he got a garage to service it. I have had the landie 8k miles and no other problems so I am pleased even though the new sump is £70 and I am still waiting on delivery! Thought I might sell the old sump minus the plug on ebay. Must be worth a few quid if someone can re-thread it??

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finally the new sump has arrived. Went ojn this afternoon without to much fuss. (Apart from the wife when I covered the kitchem sink in oil). Strangley theres no gasket with it you just use a gasket sealent. 7 litres of oil later she is happy again. Thanks for all your ideas. I drilled a small hole through the sump plug. Hopefully get a few quid for the old sump on ebay?!?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts