Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is some new gear and Mods for my Disco.
Southdown Plates, Rear Gas Tank Gaurd, Rear Dif, and Front Axel.
Snorkel
Hood Blackout
New Platform for the Saftery Device Rack. Homemade...
Rear Air and Power Inverter, all Hard wired. also the addition of an Intyernational Truck Air Tank, semi Perm.
Also I added a Truck Solinoid switchable for the winch.

I am working on a really sweet rear wich Bumper set Up just not sure what I want to do...

Cheers

· Registered
1,971 Posts
Love the air system panel! Nice work! The sticker on the air tank will cause problems for you if you ever plan to cross into Canada with it- or if it catches fire the Fire Dept will let it burn at a safe distance. Funny, but can backfire.

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
Great stuff...I like it..I need to start getting that stuff for my rover

· Forward!
2,319 Posts
Great job with the on board air, good to have. Your truck is looking awesome!Let me know how you like your southdown rear diff plate. I have the rear diff guard on my D1 and I am thinking about taking it off! The way it's designed kind of acts like a shovel, and have had it stop my forward progress a few times on some steep hill climbs. So I will be doing some measuring to see how much clearance is gained once it is off.

· Registered
5,761 Posts
Rick, I am not sure what you are attempting to achieve with the vehicle. I have spent a considerable amount of money attempting to get the diffs as far away from the ground as possible. Your front diff guard would be the equivalent of dropping around 3 inches in wheel diametre. My front diff has been clobbered a few times, but the damage is when it hits the centre of the diff cover. This still appears relatively exposed with the front guard you have and totally exposed with the rear guard. You are also still left with your steering and panhard rods exposed. You would have been a bit better off if you got a front bash plate that protected you panhard and steering rods, put in a heavy duty track rod, and put on diff guards that clamp around the centre of the diff cover.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Ian

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i need to do some more driving with it, you may be spot on... I am swapping the front bumper this week so i can run the front bash gaurd so that will be in effect soon. I will let you know this weekend, but you are on with that statement, i think..

· Registered
1,971 Posts
The Southdown axle guard is intended to be used with a front guard as well- the combo works well. The axle guard doesn't take as much clearance as you think- I installed one for a customer last week and it sits up close to everything. Steering guard would be nice to have on there, as without it that axle guard is just a shovel.

2,687 Posts
DiscoRick said:
i need to do some more driving with it, you may be spot on... I am swapping the front bumper this week so i can run the front bash gaurd so that will be in effect soon. I will let you know this weekend, but you are on with that statement, i think..
What bumper did you decide to go with?

· Registered
1,506 Posts
Steve, I had a customer rip out his rear Southdown diff guard, the bolts snapped and it was a PIA to get the broken piece out of the diff. Did you notice if the bolts were a lower grade? Just thought you might want to put some other bolts in there...

· Registered
1,971 Posts
I haven't done a rear one- we just did a front one, which I liked in theory but thought the finish and the way the brackets were made scored about a 2 on a quality scale of 1 to 10.
The hardware on the front guard was good quality, can't speak as to the rears. The rear one is too bulky for my personal taste.

· Registered
5,761 Posts
Muddy Oval, Looking at the picture of the front diff guard, it would appear that on the main part of the axle housing it would be at least 1 1/2 inch lower. You could argue that the centre of the diff is only 1/2 inch lower and that is all the ground clearance you lost. However, the reason that the diff centre is offset is to allow better clearance at the centre of the track, that is usually the highest point. So loosing 1 1/2 inches under the main part of the diff is equivalent to dropping 3 inches in tire size.

Ian

· Registered
1,971 Posts
I see your point, but sometimes protection can be worth the height. I wouldn't buy Southdown stuff, personally.

· Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
dude, you have to kill the radioactive sign, sorry but it backfire in an Al Kaida sort of way,

if you get pulled over then trust me you might have a long wait to get where your going. If you get to go at all.

Guy at work told me about two kids that left their paintball guns in the backseat of the car. Needless to say a woman saw the guns and called the cops and they were pulled out and slammed face down onto the ground.

and these were harmless paintball guns.

So be careful or else.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.