Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody. I bought my first rover today, a 2001 discovery series II se7. It's in good cosmetic condition and runs strong. I'm debating on buying the warranty. Would most of you say it's worth the investment?

Also, the little courtesy light for the driver side rear window button on the center console is out. Any ideas on how to fix this? All the other lights for the window buttons work. Thanks!

Chad

·
Registered
104 Posts
Wow dude, did you read my mind before posting that? hahaha

The only reason I slithered over from the Series forum to the DiscoII forum is because I'm going to buy either an 01 or an 02 Disco for my girlfriend when I get back stateside for some vacation in March.

I can tell you that I wouldn't buy any newer-ish vehicle without buying a warrantee; it's just common sense nowadays. In '99 I bought a '94 Lincoln Mark VIII (black on tan, all the options). The warrantee saved my a$$ twice, as the day after I bought it I dropped a tranny solenoid and the bill would have come to my doorstep for $2500, solenoid, TC and labor. OUCH! Then the week after I sold it to some poor kid right out of high school the same thing happened again and I still had all my paperwork so it looked like I still owned it and once again, all those tranny parts and labor would have cost me so the warentee saved me a ton of cash and a lawsuit probably.

Long story short, the relatively small investment in a warrantee saved me $5000 in less than a year. Just a side note, I didn't beat the beast like I wanted to, she was my first nice car after years and years of G-body GMs. ha-ha

So yup, I would go for the warrantee.

I'll post up pics of her Disco when I get it, I’ll be sure to take lots and lots of pictures. I can only imagine how good she'll look against the back drop of snowy VT!!!!

Semper fi

Erik

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
I would totally buy the warentee....on our vehicles....its actually worth it. You wont ever regret getting the warentee...ever. Do it, let no one tell you otherwise. If I had an extended warentee right now I would be getting my ABS problem and low oil pressure problem fixed for free.

...I have a Feb. 2001 DII.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
The extended warranty is a must, are you getting it thru Rover or aftermarket?
How much are they asking for the warranty and for what terms, years/mileage???
Mike J.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the responses. I was thinking of going with warranties4wheels. I didn't purchase the car from the Rover dealer, so would they still sell me a warranty? How much do they normally run? I'll let you know what I find on the price from warranties4less.

Does anyone have any ideas on my power window button light?

Thanks,
Chad

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Chad,
Yes the dealer will sell you a Rover backed warranty similar to came with the truck from the factory.
They are all pretty pricey, but they are worth every $$$$$$.
I bought and aftermarket warranty. 7 year, 100,000 mile, for $3100 and got all my monies worth out of it the first visit back to the shop. The only problem with aftermarket warranties is that if you modify the truck much, they may cancel the warranty.
Plan on spending $3000 and look at it like it as an investment.
Mike J.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Keep in mind that aftermarket warranties can be a horrendous pain in the butt. Many of them are from places that go out of business with your money and never pay out... it's an easy scam to run and more and more people are doing it. It's not unheard of that they pay a shop using a credit card, then reverse the charge later after the customer has the vehicle- taking the customer's money, ripping off the shop(s) and then disappearing. Some others will have you front the money (sometimes a LOT) and then promise to pay you back... then denying the claim.
Just be careful. I extended my warranty through my insurance company, as there is less chance Geico is going out of business than JimmyFishbone's Midnight Warranty Company.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Here's a shameless plug for Wynn's Oil. They are who I had my warentee through for my Lincoln and at the time were either one of or the largest warentee provider in the country. I didn't pay a cent for the work either time I used the warentee.

Semper fi

Erik

ps. Get in good with a dealer. I bought my car and warentee from my best friend (the used car dealer) and paid cost for the warentee.... $500.00 :buttrock:

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Buy Buy Buy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Warranties4Wheels is offering a 4 year unlimited mileage warranty for $2450. My discovery has 64000 miles on it so the Land Rover dealership couldn't help me. Warranties4Wheels is recomended by both this site and rangerovers.net so unless anyone has seen a better warranty offer I'm going with them.

Chad

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.