Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I somewhat hastily traded in our 01 Montero Sport for an 02 DISCO II SD last week. We paid 19,500, which seems to be a little more than blue book but not as much as what I've seen from some other dealers. The vehicle has 39,000 miles and is still under warranty, though I'm not sure for how long. It seems to run very well, and I didn't see anything negative on the vin report. Supposedely, an oil change was performed when the dealer acquired the vehicle, and he has a reputation for selecting vehicles in great condition in stocking his lot. While driving back from richmond, the horn-button unexpectedly popped out of its place. In trying to push it back in, a piece broke off and now it is dangling on the steering wheel. Is this something covered under the warranty? also, the light on the vanity mirror stopped working. I know these things are minor, but we are a little nervous to see them happenning after only a week of driving the vehicle. I welcome any suggestions on what we should do as well as general comments about the price we paid and what we should expect out of this vehicle.

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
Well i want to say congrats on the purchase.. You should be able to take it back and have them fix it for free if the car lot is at all reputable...From personal experience with land rovers i say this may look bad but you love that disco in no time.. You will be amazed with the capabilities..As far as the price, it was high but with low miles and all you may come out ahead in the end.

· Wheeler
1,837 Posts
The standard warranty should be 50k,,,so yes, you still have warranty left & these things will be covered.

My advise for an new Disco owner is pretty much this: you have a very unique & extremely capable rig---one that combines top-shelf luxury with outstanding off-road capabilities, and one that can be fairly easily modified to take on extreme off-road challenges. That being said, the vehicle is also quirky and definately NOT for those who want a plug-n-play, no worries vehicle. That's why there's Hondas. Minor electrical issues are bound to come up from time to time, you will definately have some degree of oil leakage from one or seals. You will probably need to replace your front drive shaft around 50-60k. Etc.

But the great thing about your Disco is it's not BORING! Take the time to explore it's off-road capabilities, you may find yourself getting the off-road bug ! If nothing else, you'll have the peace of mind to know you can get off the beaten path should you ever need to/want to. I think the Disco II was the last of the aftermarket-supported, mod-friendly, solid-axle, luxury 4x4's that still retained a sense of the purpose-built.

What I love about Discos is how often guys get the bug to get 'em built up & get 'em off road. Just yesterday a guy came up to me in the parking lot with 20 questions on building up his Disco. Seemed like a perfectly normal guy, too,, I wonder if his wife knows he's turning into a ROVER HEAD !! :buttrock:

· Registered
84 Posts
I have replaced all oils om my 2001 DII in the two months that I had the car. There were no records kept in the LR owners book of services, but I found out from Land Rover USA that the vehicle is up to date on all recalls.

From what some of the great guys at this forum have said: frequent Oil changes are a good thing and or using good oils.

I was surprised at the quality of oils in the differential and the metal pieces. Made me think that my oil change was really worth while.
I did the front and back differential, automatic transmission, engine and transfer case.

That would be my suggestion for a new owner of a really great car.

· Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
From a dealer technician in upstate NY welcome to the family.

Did you buy a certified Rover with an additional warrantee to 100k grand. Very good because while you make payments the car will pay for itself. Repairs arent cheap. neither are parts.

but they are a very good car. Just last week we had a group of LR on a company trip that included some of our customers on a scenic trip to Vermont. It was good. well except for the rain. But other than that it was fun. The customers enjoyed themselves along with their dogs.

· Super Moderator
743 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the family.. Ah.. the horn button. Mine did that too at about 36,000. It is covered under warranty, actually, everything is covered usually without question including light bulbs. If you have a LR dealer near by, make an appointment to get it fixed they may give you an LR3 to drive around while it is getting serviced.

· Registered
620 Posts
Hak said:
While driving back from richmond, the horn-button unexpectedly popped out of its place. In trying to push it back in, a piece broke off and now it is dangling on the steering wheel. Is this something covered under the warranty?
The horn thing is common...my left horn button sprung out of place and flew out the window onto the highway. :D

The LR dealer replaced mine for me - it's under warranty...

· Registered
620 Posts
SCSL said:
I wonder if his wife knows he's turning into a ROVER HEAD !! :buttrock:
Mine doesn't...but she will next week when I get my new tires. :buttrock:

And next month when I put on a suspension lift. :D

· Registered
128 Posts
Hak said:
I know these things are minor, but we are a little nervous to see them happenning after only a week of driving the vehicle.
Welcome to British motoring. Pretty much everything is covered. Do yourself a favor. Buy the extended warranty. The Land Rover extended warranty. Talk to your dealer about it when they replace the horn buttons and visor.

· Registered
620 Posts
rmuller said:
and the following month when you put on a new bumper and a winch!
There you go....that's what I'm talking about...

rmuller said:
Then even more so, next year when you decide you need more than one rover :)
She already knows that as soon as they start selling Defenders here in the US again, I'll be the proud owner of one -- and probably be looking for a place to stay after she kicks me out. :buttrock:

· Registered
620 Posts
frickjp said:
Welcome to British motoring. Pretty much everything is covered. Do yourself a favor. Buy the extended warranty. The Land Rover extended warranty. Talk to your dealer about it when they replace the horn buttons and visor.
Hey frickjp, typically how much could one estimate an extended warranty should cost from LR? $2K?

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
great responses--more questions

thanx to all who responded to my initial inquiry. We had the horn cover replaced and the vehicle inspected at an authorized land rover dealer. The service rep. said the front brakes have 30% and the rear 40% remaining. Also, he said there is a fair amount of under-body rust from the northern climate in which the vehicle was originally operated. As far as the brakes go, he said I could expect 5 to 7 thousand more miles out of them. Any responses to that expectation? Also, should I be worried about the rust? I don't ever remember any notable problems from under-carriage rust caused by the winter climates of harsh colorado weather (where i spent the first 19 years of my life) As to getting the extended land rover warranty, the dealer said i did not qualify because the original owner did not have the services performed at a land rover dealer and there is no record of them being performed anywhere else. I'm sure they were done as the vehicle was being leased by the previous driver, but i cannot access them to due privacy issues. any ideas?

· Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
Hak, what surprises me is the dealer didnt sell you a warranty. Its a money thing. But, perhaps they are right, without the warranty info its hard to say. Plus I am not a writer so they may be right.

And yes I can tell you many a lease customer barely takes care of the car as it is.

Getting them to change the oil is like pulling teeth. And the service is free for many of these customers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.