Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
G4 Mike
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a new power steering pump on my 2004 disco today. I got a new Cardon Select from Rock Auto for $212 plus a new Gates belt for $20. It looked almost exactly like the one I pulled out that had a Dana label on it. It fit fine and worked during the test drive.

Before I did the job I of course consulted the Land Rover manual and watched the Atlantic British video with Doug showing the way. In both cases they remove the fan. I got the fan wrench but couldn't get the dang fan off. It looked like I could sneak the pump past the fan so I gave it a try. I also noticed my fan looks like a fan and doesn't have that perimeter ring around it like the one in the British Atlantic video.

I unbolted the lifting bracket from the aluminum bracket and was able to sneak it past the fan. I positioned the pump flange between the blades and rotated the top of the bracket towards the left side and it wiggled out.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,498 Posts
$212 ... brand new ? Seems like a good price.

If you took your disco to a Mechanic .. they'd tell you .. you can't use your own parts .. they must buy them .. book approved only. Then they would tell you the parts were new .. and then they'd put on a used junkyard part. And you'd pay $600 for the steering pump .. and $900 for the labor .. and if you don't like it .. there's the door ..

What kinda fan is that?

·
G4 Mike
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I think that was a good price for a brand new pump. O'Rielly's charges $336 for the exact same part. Atlantic British was about $380. All the forums I read said stay away from rebuilds.

The fan I think is the stock Land Rover fan that came on it I think. It has a Land Rover logo on one of the blades.

·
Expert Crate Digger
243 Posts
I've been looking for a mechanic to replace my V8 PAS pump. I keep getting quotes of £200+/$243+ to replace it even though I already have the pump and low pressure hose.

The British Atlantic video seems to make it look easy to do. I might have to go on and do it myself.

·
G4 Mike
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have some mechanical ability it's not that bad a job, not counting the fan. I've since found out that there's a tool to hold the fan pulley while you use the 36 mm wrench on the fan nut. Give yourself 2 or 3 hours and take your time and it's not that bad of a job.

·
Drives like an old man
405 Posts
The later Discos with the 4.6 had a different fan that the 4.0 Disco IIs. It doesn't have the perimeter ring. Hold the fan pulley in place with a screwdriver and bang on the wrench with a big hammer. It should come right off.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
The later Discos with the 4.6 had a different fan that the 4.0 Disco IIs. It doesn't have the perimeter ring. Hold the fan pulley in place with a screwdriver and bang on the wrench with a big hammer. It should come right off.
After numerous head gaskets and water pump replacements on more than 1 Rover, I've found picking up the wrench/tool was a wise investment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
$212 ... brand new ? Seems like a good price.

If you took your disco to a Mechanic .. they'd tell you .. you can't use your own parts .. they must buy them .. book approved only. Then they would tell you the parts were new .. and then they'd put on a used junkyard part. And you'd pay $600 for the steering pump .. and $900 for the labor .. and if you don't like it .. there's the door ..

What kinda fan is that?
Standard protocol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts