Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I'd like to start by saying I am back into the disco world. I had a 98 D1 in highschool that I loved and put a lot of work into. since then I've had big diesel trucks and still do. However I just moved in town and it is hard to drive a 4 door long bed on 37's in the city lol. So I thought well I will just leave the truck at my shop and buy another land rover which is what I've been wanting to do for a while now. I just recently purchased an 03 D2 with blown headgaskets. the guy was asking 1000 usd which I thought wasn't too bad but i got him down to 500. I loaded it on the gooseneck and took it to the shop. I run a wheel/tire/custom automotive shop. we sell wheels and tires mostly for big trucks but do a lot of car stuff also, mostly high end and supercars. Any how I took the heads off revealing that the rear driver piston is slightly melted. However the cylinder wall was not scarred bad at all. I ordered an OE piston and plan on replacing it and doing all proper things while the motor is out. This far I have the motor almost completely out.... literally just the starter is still on. once out i will run a three legged honing tool to put on a good cross hatch and install the new piston. however I want this to sort of be a DD / weekend toy. I plan on replacing all seals and gaskets as well at hoses and cooling system. I dont really have any questions at this point it is all pretty straight forward. I plan on having it running by this week or next. so far i have blasted down and cerekoted all intake components. I will upload pictures as i can right now all i have is pictures of the cerekoted parts. My complete plan is to pretty much go through everything, fix whatever is wrong and make it reliable. Just thought I'd post the build on here to get any helpful input or incase ya'll just wanted to see.

Thanks,
Brett

· Registered
2,101 Posts
You can upload pics to Photobucket and use the url for each pic. Or you can download a free program from the PC Magazine website, like one called Picture Resizer - a free program that will convert your pics to smaller size.

Good luck with the work. Interested to see pics of the pistons.

· Administrator
2,424 Posts
Don't forget connecting rod bolts are "one time use" torque to yield and need to be replaced

· Registered
225 Posts
are you going to keep using Dex-cool, or switch to green-style coolant?
What about the transfer case? Leave it open diff or modify to the center-locking style like the '04 has? Do you know about the instrument cluster temperature gauge issue on your '03? Coolant temps can get way high without you being aware. Maybe ordering head-haskets again in a couple months if you don't monitor temps with some type of secondary/ aftermarket hardware.
Are you going to pressure-test the block while you have it torn-down? Have any cylinder liners slipped? Pretty common to find this on a D2. Cracks behind said liners just as typical. Anxious to hear what kind of shape the block is in.
How many miles on this truck? Did the PO provide all service records? How was it maintained before you got it? Was the oil-pump gears and timing-set ever replaced? Do you plan to pull the front cover and replace it anyway? I'm sure you know the '03s had a major issue with the locating dowels on the front cover and oil pump gears are prone to premature wear, cracking, breaking, exploding. Was it a one-owner vehicle? I wonder if PO had that issue addressed in recall or ? Do you know what kind of motor oil you are going to run? Old engine with flat-tappet cam...
Does it currently show any warning lights? Check engine, ABS? Did it have any fault-codes stored?

Would like to know what kind of starting point you are working from. You didn't list many details, just that you didn't have any questions and making a build-thread for a 2003 D2.
i hope you got a good one and everything goes smooth.

· Registered
3 Posts
In my opinion, when you do the head gaskets you should replace the radiator. The radiator on the 4.6L is just barely big enough, so if it's collected any gunk over the years it's going to be insufficient.

My '03 purrs like a kitten, but it wouldn't run cool even with the low-temp thermostat, until I replaced the radiator.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.