Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

Just went to view and payed for my 1990 RR 3.9V8.

What a car! No rust in the wheel wells AT ALL (some very negligible cosmetic), head gaskets were changed @ 88,000 miles (106 on the clock) and transmission shifts are perfect. There seems to be a kinda metallic pulsing in time with the engine from the exhaust - but then all the sound clips I've heard do this.
No top end noise at all, starts after less than a second's crank...I think I've found me a deal! One window switch doesn't work and the bumper is cracked in one place, but I didn't want a completely faultless car - I'll be pulling the interior to bits.
Will be collecting next friday, in the mean time, here's a pic

L

·
Registered
93 LWB KITTED 95 LWB Chop Top 03 D2
213 Posts
From two wheels to 4 ... good luck with your new project.

If you need used inexpensive parts... There is a sticky at the top of the RR discussion board with Brian Kennedys information. He is out of Reno, a great guy with lots of rover knowledge. He can hook you up with spare relays, another bumper cover, and that window switch you need. You should also check the ARCHIVES on this list before posting questions, as its faster for you and saves other peoples time..

PS i recommend you get on the net and buy a bottle of forever black for your bumpers, C pillar, and grille. It is the best stuff! It will keep that stuff black for years!

Good luck, it looks real nice!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hehe. Picking it up next weekend, Dad's sorting out the legal shite.
Apparently, the ticking from the exhaust is usual, probably nothing to worry about, as it's not coming from the top end. I may get new cams anyway - I've come in $2700 under budget!

L

·
Registered
93 LWB KITTED 95 LWB Chop Top 03 D2
213 Posts
Clickety click

Yep, I have had exhaust gaskets go and thats exactly what it sounds like.. you may want to check the Y pipe that connects the exhaust headers to the cats, the bolts came loose on a 91 RRC that I had. It made a terrible noise, that caused the owner to sell it to me for $1,000. New bolts..$4.00 New Cats and Flowmaster ($450.00) cleaned her up and sold her for $3500 2 weeks later..

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm tearing off the entire manifold for respraying anyway....
My mechanic has it at the moment, awaiting prognosis. It seems to have stopped the cam/tappet ticking...but who knows what it'll do, lol. It is currently billowing grey smoke out of the exhaust under acceleration, no doubt mech will spot that and remedy - the head gaskets were replaced at 88k...so all SHOULD be good.
I want to get either 18"s or 20"s and have spotted the relevant adapters on Simmonites - they compatible with any 5 spoke?
Without being arrogant, I have been set a budget of $6k to work within, so...all going well.
What is a good exhaust to bring out th V8 throb on idle? Would it just be an idea to remove the last silencer completely and Y-split it? Friend of mine (coachworks) is taking care of a new bodykit, which should be nice. Deep blue metallic respray and a South African flag on the roof (home!)

L

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
at the mechs at present. will be hardening the suspension in the current months - it's just to wallowy to drive around at speed. performance mods in the pipeline, pardon the pun - if possible, low compression pistons and twin turbo

L

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.