Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Mathias
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya folks.

So, I'm back with another question since y'all have yet to steer me wrong.

This is on my 99 D2. Went for a drive up in the fine colorado mountains today (as we do most weekends) and about halfway up our trek, I developed a sort of deep rumbling sound under the hood. I don't want to call it "knocking" but the truth likely lies somewhere between the two..

Just the same, no vibrations, no warning lights, and NO change in performance.. Just a VERY noticeable rumble/knock that is consistent at idle and seems to increase in intensity as I accelerate. Almost sounds like a desel motor or something.. Ha!

Upon further inspection, it seems to be coming from the passenger side of the motor somewhere in the vicinity of the valve cover or exhaust manifold. Maybe even as low as the catalytic converter as it's hard to pinpoint exactly..

Any ideas would be great appreciated and thank you in advance!

-M

·
Mathias
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Took me a while to get back to this, but its seemingly a pretty quick fix. Looks to me like its the exhaust manifold gasket between the manifold and pipe (passenger side). Not the block. You can feel the leak when its running. Ordered a pair from BPU and once they come in tomorrow ill tear those out and plug the new ones in. Hopefully that resolves the issue.. really just a terrible sound more than anything.. haha!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.