Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just bought a series III and I need a bit of advice. It goes really well but I have a couple of niggles with it. The steering seems really heavy. The MOT tester note it also but couldn't really say what it was. Any ideas where to start looking? I have big tyres. Could this be why? Its ok when you get moving but at slow speeds you have got to have big arms.

The gear stick is well floppy also and changing gear is a bit hit and miss. Is this normal? Would replacing all the balls and springs for the selector forks make much difference? Is there anything else adjustable. The clutch feels ok and the gears dont crunch. Its just really really vague!!

Any help would be great.

Did my first off road trip this afternoon and I am really starting to like the old beast!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
grooveshysta,
Well, yes, the wider tires will make it harder to turn. I have 235/85/16 on my truck and the steering response is just fine. One of my friends has 265/70/15 on his truck and it is a lot harder to turn...

Hmm, not sure about the vagueness in the shifting...I have a IIa and she'll snick into gear each time. Are all of your gears vague? I guess you could try the springs on one of the shafts to see if that helps...I'm just not sure here...

Bogatyr

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tyre advice.

You can get the gear stick and waggle it a good inch either way when it is in or out of gear, no matter what gear you are in. Its like a tea spoon in a mug of tea!

I have got the hang of where to push the leaver but I have to bang it in to gear in the right place or it just doesn't go in. I get no crunching though. The clutch bite is kind of in the middle of the peddle travel also.

·
Registered
110 Posts
if thats all thats 'wrong' with your gear box, then it sounds like yours is in prety good condition- mine jumps out of 1st and 2nd, especially when on hill decents, and wont find first or second very well either!

If the steering really is too heavy, 'my wife dosen't like driving mine either' then you can by a knob to attach to your steering wheel to get a better grip on it. AM consideing this myself, cos if i don't have a pasenger i have to hold it in gear when doing tight turns heading towards streams!

·
Series Moderator
536 Posts
indeed

In reply to "a knob to attach to your steering wheel"
Do you mean the owner ?? :D ;)

·
Registered
361 Posts
In the cab of the truck with floorboards all in place and everything, at the bottom of the shifter is the round ball of the linkage. Look on the right side of it from the top and you will see that there is a groove cut down it. This ball is incased in the aluminum tower of the shifter, about a half inch or so down from the top on the right side is a small set screw that might be missing or is just loose. It needs to be screwed into the afore mentioned slot. It shouldn't bottom out, it just stops the shifter from slopping about like a teaspoon in a cup. (good description)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to Greg. I will have a look at my ball at the end of my gear nob and see if I can sort out that little screw. I have been reading the messages about Lawnmowers box. There is refference to the detent balls and springs being there for a possative gear click change. I will look at these next.

Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I managed to get home early tonight and have a look at the bottom of the gear stick. I found the screw and tightend it up. The transformation is maraculous. Thank you so much Greg. I am waiting now for the new screw I won on ebay. I dont think I will need it now though.

Thanks Lawnmower for pointing out that auction. Looks like he has a lot of bits for your gearbox rebuild.

Thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yeah that seller has lots of stuff, pretty quick delivery too.

Also a seller called Landrover-orphanage seems pretty clued up too.

If wha you want is not listed they seeem like the type of sellers that would get it for you and answer emails i think!

Was bidding on a gearbox, but got gazumped on my way home :complain:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts