Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son needs some new speakers for his "98 LSE. He says the 4" front speakers are " blown"... Any suggestions?? How difficult is the instalation ?? Should the rears be replaced to balance the sound ?? Thanks for ANY advice...

PFZ

· Banned
907 Posts
A good place to check fit is on the Crutchfield website. In the Disco door, you are kina limited as to which speaker you can use because of the depth you have to work with. I know Kenwood and Infinty have some nice model's avaliable for sure - am I'm sure other makes do too...

Install is simple. It's four screws that hold the trim, and speaker in place. Once out, there are two wires, a postive and negitive. It's basically a "plug-and-play" set-up.

I would look at a nice 2-way speaker. Anything out there, really, will sound better then the stockers...I like Infinty and Boston Acoustics speakers, but that's personal preferance.

The rears are up to you. The stock rears will work fine, even with replacing the fronts. But, they too are a "cheap" OEM speaker. The sound quality will be a lot more "awesome" with a good set of aftermarket speakers. But again, it's not nessassary...

· Registered
51 Posts
The only problem you will have fitting new speakers in the front doors is the size of the speaker magnets. The oem's are very small and unless you luck out on a fit you will have to modify the door hole. I went to the local junk yard to see if I could find a guide size to buy new speakers. Guess what, I found that the Honda CRX and some Civics that these guys tricked up had some brand new 4" speakers left in them. The bottom line is I bought 2 Harmon Kardon 3 ways and 2 Infinity 3 ways for 5 bucks... The HK's fit in the front by just peeling off the sponge bumper in the door well and the Infinity's
went in the back. The truck now sounds like a concert hall... :rellye

· Premium Member
1,031 Posts
pzwerner said:
My son needs some new speakers for his "98 LSE. He says the 4" front speakers are " blown"... Any suggestions?? How difficult is the instalation ?? Should the rears be replaced to balance the sound ?? Thanks for ANY advice...

PFZ
What kind of stereo system does your son have? Is it the factory or otherwise?

If you have the factory system with the amplifier, the power to the amp may be out. Prying off the paneling and taking the wire off the speaker would tell you. If there is static, the amp is on. If you hear no static, the amp is off or blown.

Damn that rap music! Darn that Mozart!

Adam in NYC

· Registered
11 Posts
I found that Alpine makes a 4 that bolts right in. I am not sure of the model, but they are the ones with the aluminium cones. Sound is not too bad, and they are a direct bolt in. Price was about 40.00 pair

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.