Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
4,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I FINALLY placed my order. I decided to go with the 245/75s BFG MTs. I figured I was spending a lot of mula on my bumper, winch, tires, new u-jointed driveshaft, and a new alt, so I wanted something that I wouldnt HAVE to have a lift, or upgraded gears with. I'm also not going to be able to get my lift for a while, so the the tires needed to be small enough to allow some flex at stock height.

I'm gonna have one of the shops I do business with mount them for me. I'm gonna ask if he'll let me join, as this is something I've never done on any of my cars, besides previous go karts..lol Should be fairly easy, I hope!

·
Forward!
2,324 Posts
Good choice on the BFG MT's! When you do your trimming on the rear fender, also trim or bend back the sharp edge on the front of the rear wheel well where the door closes. I took a couple chunks out of my tire on the last trip, but no biggy! You just don't know until you hit a real trail as the at home flex tests cannot replicate real trails!

·
4,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that tid bit badger.

I can't wait guys. I'll have some goooood boggin videos for you peeps as soon as I get those on. I'm stikin to stock allows fora while as well. On the road to having a PROPER Land Rover:drive:

·
Registered
249 Posts
01001010 said:
Thanks for that tid bit badger.

I'm stikin to stock allows fora while as well. On the road to having a PROPER Land Rover:drive:
Personally, I really don't get why people change out the stock alloys. To me its just wasted money that could have gone to better use. I'll admit that the steelies look pretty cool, but aren't they like $50 a wheel? To me the $250 could go to something else such as lights or skid plates or something

·
Magicly Delicious
1,030 Posts
Rover Nick said:
Personally, I really don't get why people change out the stock alloys. To me its just wasted money that could have gone to better use. I'll admit that the steelies look pretty cool, but aren't they like $50 a wheel? To me the $250 could go to something else such as lights or skid plates or something
unless you go with 15s. I'm currently waiting on some ProComp 15s from Trek, i did the research and they almost pay themselves off with the first set of tires. at least for the BFG ATs when comparing a 245/75 on a 16 to a 31 on a 15.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Rover Nick said:
agreed...unless of course you are planning to do something like rubicon, etc. If you crack/bend your alloys you are screwed....besides that I dont get it. They cost, and weigh more.

Though as far as aesthetics go they do look really cool.....and cost about as much as a set of Hella 4ks....so...about a wash if you want them say 20% for functionality, 80% for looks.

·
2,986 Posts
Reasons for steels: offset w/o spacers, durablity versus cracking alloys, ability to trail repair with a hammer, and they just look cool. Btw.. Hella 4k's are ~100/ea, while steels will run you ~70/ea ...

I just spend too much money on my truck... I have both 4ks & steels :)

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
01001010 said:
HEKS YESS!!! What size you runnin Josh?
265/75-16......next set I might go BIG with some 255/85-16's....not sure yet though....perhaps not until I get some 4.11 pinion/ring gear sets.

So doesnt it work like 265=width, and 75=height from wheel? I know 16=wheel dia.

So yours would be the same height....but thinner so they could tuck easier on a DI....I had to help my friend trim his rear fenders for some 255/65 I believe.....

..once yours are on, take some pics and post them! Tell us how much you had to trim and how well they stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
keptin said:
265/75-16......next set I might go BIG with some 255/85-16's....not sure yet though....perhaps not until I get some 4.11 pinion/ring gear sets.

So doesnt it work like 265=width, and 75=height from wheel? I know 16=wheel dia.

So yours would be the same height....but thinner so they could tuck easier on a DI....I had to help my friend trim his rear fenders for some 255/65 I believe.....

..once yours are on, take some pics and post them! Tell us how much you had to trim and how well they stuff.
thats not how tire sizing works. the first number is the width, which is correct. the second number is a percentage of the width, not the actual height. the 245 is shorter and thinner.

245/75/16=30.7"
265/75/16=31.9"

·
Workin' and Wheelin'...
2,942 Posts
Yeah I need new tires as is. Right now I'm riding on these bald-ass Michelin LTX 4X4. 205/80 yada, yada. One has a flat spot and my ass end wobbles wierd until the tire warms up when rolling. I need something cheap and good tread for the mud and snow.

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
RageRover said:
Yeah I need new tires as is. Right now I'm riding on these bald-ass Michelin LTX 4X4. 205/80 yada, yada. One has a flat spot and my ass end wobbles wierd until the tire warms up when rolling. I need something cheap and good tread for the mud and snow.
there arent many tires of that size but if you put 225/75/16, youll have more choices. ive had a good experience with the yokohama geolandar a/t +II. cant beat the price of under $100/tire

·
4,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, got my tires on the truck and MAN oh MAN!!! am i happy I didnt go the 255/75 route! These 245/75s are bigger than I expected them to be! Puts things in perspective! They added about an inch in height! I falt it when I was getting it! They run GREAT on the highway. Better handling than anticipated as well. They are louder than the average road tire but nothing a little Skynard, U2, or Greenday can't fix! I won't post pics until I have my bumper on there, which I should be rcving tomorrow.

·
Workin' and Wheelin'...
2,942 Posts
llesra said:
there arent many tires of that size but if you put 225/75/16, youll have more choices. ive had a good experience with the yokohama geolandar a/t +II. cant beat the price of under $100/tire
You gotta be kidding me!:eek: Under a hundred bucks a tire?! :buttrock: Now that's a deal!:buttrock: Where do get more info for those 225/75/16 tires? I'm like drooling over that deal right now.:D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.