Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the Summer, I bought a $300 Disco 2 from a friend of mine. It's obviously nowhere near pristine condition, but I am in love with that vehicle and drive it all the time. I love it so much that for my divorce/midlife crisis car (just turned 40 lol), I purchased a 2017 Discover HSE Luxury at the very end of December. Now I'm in search of multiple jobs so I can restore and maintain, I suppose! LOL. I look forward to reading, learning, and seeing everyone's Land Rovers.

Greetings!

·
very disco
2,083 Posts
Welcome and congrats!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
$300??? Was it even running? What did you have to fix?
Oh, yeah! It was/is running. I figured the wheels are worth more than $300 even if I had ended up having to call Pull-a-part LOL. Of course, most of the "comfort" electronics on it do not function (sun roof, heated seats, rear defogger, rear view mirror including the Home Link), the head liner has been ripped out of it, the front windows don't roll up and down (though the back ones still work), and it's got lots of cosmetic flaws. I put a new radio in it, and the stock speakers sound AMAZING. I added a 10" subwoofer to it as well. I love "The British Bastard" as I call it. My HOPES are to fix it back up piece by piece. When I bought it, I didn't realize that there was even a "Land Rover Bug" let alone that I'd catch it. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
$300??? Was it even running? What did you have to fix?
I put new tires on it in December, and it was overheating at one point. Replacing the cap to the water reservoir seemed to fix it. It also needs some work on the front steering... a ball joint and a control arm, I THINK. The tire shop said they couldn't get the parts, and I haven't looked much further into it yet as it isn't a priority at the moment, unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Good luck. The most important thing you need to do is install a third party temp gauge. The stock temp gauge does not work like normal gauges. It stays in the Normal position until the engine gets VERY hot and moves up to Red in one click. At this point it may have already overheated the engine and blown a head gasket. Many of us use a gauge that plugs into the OBD2 socket. Just about every D2 that I have seen has blown a head gasket at one time or another because of overheating.

The second thing I would do is have it checked out for a blown head gasket.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts