Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all.. first time here!

Am thinking of buying a freelander and ,having read through the forums, see there is an obvious problem with them!!

Does this affect certain years/models/diesels/petrols or is it a problem on all models/engine types?
And is it as widespread as at it sounds?
With so many freelanders about ,what sort of percentage are affected?
(Was thinking about getting the td4 about v-w reg)

Any advice would be very much appreciated

Jon

·
Registered
222 Posts
The head-gasket problem affected the early 1.8 K-series engine and to a lesser extent that 2.5 KV-series engine.

The Td4 engine, beign totally different has no such problems.

The gearbox problems caused by Rover putting the wrong differential ratios in the vehicle in the early days had been solved by the time the Td4 came along.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have a L series Diesel (98/99) so I cannot speak from personal experience with the 1800 but it does have that major issue with overheating and sometimes breaking timing belts causing major damage.

All 98/99 Freelanders have the problem with front diff ratios being wrong which causes the viscous coupling to fail, which in turn causes the IRD to fail. If you know about it and include the VC in your maintenance program and check it/know what to look for - then replace the VC when it is failing - expensive but cheaper that the whole going - just happened to me and I am replacing my IRD and VC with those from a TD4.

With the exception of the 1800, from 2000 on the cars are great. The pick being the TD4 auto.

Gazzz

·
MISSING SOUTH LONDON.
3,433 Posts
please save yourself trouble and buy a Discovery or Rangie if you can and save yourself a massive headache!!!!! I realize it is my own personal opinion but the freelander is NOT a typical vehicle of wich you should judge all landy's on.It has proven to be a great seller for the brand ensuring that all the true 4X4's in the range can survive into the future,but the overall resale and reliability probs are not realy worth it.It is for the most part relitivly inept off road and can cause serious pocket book probs as well.Poor fuel economy too. Sorry to be the one guy on the forum to sound like a jerk,however I have seen the worst side of the vehicle and would not suggest it any any level for any purpose.I believe if you want a good landrover...go buy a quality sI disco and enjoy one of the best products produced by solihull that will not let you dodwn!!!Sorry :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just watch out!
Last October i get a freelander 1.8K 5D 2001 model out of warranty.
Since then, i make 25000 kms On and Off-road and i can tell you for sure that this car its a love & hate machine.
If you can, buy the TD4 or 2.5 V6 version.

I already replaced head-gasket and a lot of goods under the hood, due to wonderfull BMW & Rover design, also the famous Viscous Coupling Unit and the main Propshaft with the CV joints.
It costs me a lot of money but at least i saved the expensive IRD unit and rear differ.
Think twice before you make the same and keep in mind that freelander its beautifull, sensitive and expensive like a sexy attractive young lady.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.