Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone, I'm new here. I'm currently a "proud" owner of a 1998 Disco that will not start. I bought it from a shop who was selling it for the vehicle's owner since they didn't want to sink anymore money into it. The story I got from the shop owner was that he felt it had a bad computer because it was flooding the cylinders. I negotiated a low price with the inability to test anything.

After doing some reading, I learned that the old injectors in these things tend to stick (a plausible explanation for the suspected "flooding"), so without actually looking into it further, I ordered a used set of the Gen 3 Bosch injectors, installed them, and it still wouldn't start. It doesn't even try to. I pulled the plugs, which were wet and dirty but looked pretty new (like they've never been in a running engine), cleaned them and tried again, to no avail. Not even a sputter. Took the plugs out again and checked for a spark in one of them and watched a nice strong spark. I checked the rest with a timing light and they're all receiving a charge. The fuel pump is audible and primes on position 2 and I'm reading 35-38 psi upon prime and while cranking. The fuel pump relay is audible as well. I took the plugs out again and some seem slightly damp and I can smell gas. Attempted to reset the inertia switch for giggles...still nothing. At this point I'm pretty satisfied I have fuel delivery and spark, just no ignition. Here's where it gets tricky to me. I sprayed some starter fluid in the intake tube and tried cranking. Again, NOTHING! No signs of combustion. Next, to me, was to check cylinder compression. Obviously the engine will not run, so this was a cold/dry test with closed throttle plate, but here are the readings I got:

1 = 90 2 = 70
3 = 80 4 = 130
5 = 86 6 = 140
7 = 135 8 = 90

I'm at a bit of a loss now. The readings are obviously all over the place and I'm not sure what to make of it. Despite some pretty unimpressive numbers, I should still have combustion in some of the cylinders with the starter fluid, correct? The only explanation I can come up with at this time would be a "timing" (pun intended) issue. I'm open for all suggestions at this point. I have heard the engine give a little pop maybe twice in the entire time I have been working on it, which may include a collective cranking time of 2.5 minutes over the past week. 99% of the time it cranks with no signs of life.

Oh, and this 98 Disco1 has only 78,000 miles on the odometer, which is believed to be correct...the main reason why I picked it up. I was also told it has been sitting at the shop for about 8 months. There is maybe an 1/8 tank of gas in it and I poured dry gas into the tank. The battery is brand new (I installed it) and the security light is not illuminated on the dash with the doors unlocked and key in the ignition. I've tried doing the key dance in the driver's door 5 times and the central locking works (aside from the passenger door actuator, which seems dead). I don't seem to be having any alarms issues and figured I'm in the clear there since the fuel pressure is good and the coil packs appear to be delivering a charge down the wires.

I really appreciate any help you all have before I start thinking about tearing into the mechanicals. Thanks!

·
Wounded Knee Moderator
1,904 Posts
I answered your questions on the other forum you posted to. Sure wouldn't mind a response.......

·
Wounded Knee Moderator
1,904 Posts
Much appreciated. I work off that forum now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.