Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2006 LR3 with approximately 105k miles. I plan on driving it around town and using it to go to my in law's house with our dogs and new baby (approximately 240 miles each way). Currently, I have a brake sensor light on (brakes seems fine), besides that, no other issues. In preparation for being a Land Rover owner again, I have purchased the AAA platinum package. A few questions from you lovely folks before we head out of town tomorrow morning on an 8 hour trip.

1. What do I need to be prepared for (common faults)?

2. Any common faults that will leave me on the side of the road?

3. What preventative maintenance do you all recommend at this point?

I keep hearing the LR3 is more reliable than my Disco, I hope it is true. I would like to get 200k out of this truck.

·
very disco
542 Posts
air suspension is a pretty common issue (can leave you sitting on stops)

computers tend to wig out when battery/alternator performance is low (new batt is easy)

i don't know if it's "more reliable than a disco"
anything advise would be best given after a qualified mechanic looks it over (-;

if you have service records, that should identify upcoming/missed service events
if you don't, consider backing up to 60k and starting the service intervals over

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What are symptoms of bad air suspension? I considered a premature coil conversion. When do these usually go out? Thanks, reverendALC.

·
very disco
542 Posts
The air compressor is equipped with an air dryer, which typically needs new desiccant beads. These can deteriorate and gum up the valve blocks eventually. Replacing the beads is easy, replacing the main and front blocks are easy, the rear block is difficult to access.

There’s a lot of hype regarding replacing the hitachi compressor with the newer AMK style unit, but I personally don’t perceive that to be necessary. I have a replacement hitachi compressor in my RRS and it’s perfectly fine. Updating to the AMK requires software flashing as well.

Also, there’s a semi-common issue on these rigs with the instrument cluster failing and breaking MS canbus comms.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
I have owned this exact same vehicle since it was new with almost the same amount of miles. A couple other issues have also cropped up other than what has been mentioned. I did have to replace the front hubs and control arms as well as the lower drive shaft (the original tended to seize up and making turning very difficult). I have the amber light on for my compressor so the vehicle only rides in standard height-I understand the compressor can be done by oneself but I haven't found the time yet.

Body and interior have held up great and I have not experienced the water logged passenger side from clogged sunroof drains. I did have to replace the fuse for the electric seats with one that resets itself - this has worked well too.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had an "oh'six" rover myself and drove it from about 80k-110k miles. In that time I got....

The first week I was driving down a skinny road in the dark and rain. A car was coming so I politely moved to the side of the road so we could both get by. I got too close to the hedges on the right side and didn't know a tree had fallen into it and was sticking out the side of it. It took out my entire passenger side view mirror, dangling just by a wire... FOUR HUNDRED DOLLARS LATER (plastic enclosure only, mirror not included) I got:

-new LR3 cooling bleed, metal 10mm Tee fitting upgrade (<-- do this one ASAP, even $5 home depot parts will work)
-new control arms/bushings
-new wheel bearings and front hub assemblies (mine seized up as well)
-new thermostat assembly
-new coolant overflow reservoir
-new rear tailgate upper strut set
-new transmission pan with filter and oil replacement
-new air compressor

My point is to start a savings account just for this vehicle and/or replace all of the above (and more) or plan on it. Also, I have never seen so many weird errors on the dash. Life is good until your dash turns into a christmas tree light show. TRANSMISSION FAULT: LIMITED GEARS ONLY. :oops: mmm k.

-Dan
strutracks.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts