Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I have just bought a 1987 3.5 ltr v8 High line Range Rover and am after some advice on several topics. Ok here goes...

*Can i put on any Rangie Rims , say off a later model?
*I am thinking of LPG conversion how much do they usually cost and is it worth it/adverse effects?
*Am thinking of installing extractors/new exhaust any reasons not to?
*Any tips on increasing performance easily?

THANKS!!!! Tim

·
Registered
489 Posts
If your RR has alloy rims on it right now (3-spoke, probably) than you should be able to retrofit other alloys off other Classics, Discovery I's, Defenders, etc. You won't be able to put P38 rims on because they are 8" wide rims as the others I mentioned are 7" In that case there is not enough space and the lug studs are wrong? I reccommend the TWR style 5-spoke 7J x 16 rims. (have them on my 1992 County [chromed!]) Easy performance in a RR? Good luck. Try K&N filter, remove stock filter housing so the whole filter is exposed to air. This may gain you a whole(!) 2 bhp. I live in the states so I don't know about LPG conversions, except they save you money. We are paying about $2.05 (US) per gallon of super premium right now. My 95 4.0SE just consumed $50.00 last fillup and not even empty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for the help... so these things lack a lot of grunt do they? I am hoping extractors and a decent exhaust + K&N filter will help out a little. Because then i loose power on the LPG conversion (about %5) The conversion i have quotes for being $1900 AUD, which is pretty good as far as i can see. We are paying about 1.10-1.20 for premium unldeaded at the moment. You think that's bad ask someone from the UK how much they pay.
I'm getting Pacemaker extractors with Lukey 2.5 Exhaust (if that means anything to you)

Thanks again for the help.

By the way those chrome rims sound the go! these 3 spokes are pretty ugly.

·
Registered
139 Posts
3.5 upgrades... why?

If you find yourself needing a butt load of upgrades to get your 3.5 to a respectable level of performance.. Do not do what I did (spend useless cash buying doo dads that promise all the 10hp gains) and just get a new 4.0 or 4.6 engine.

In the long run you will be dealing without the hope of something having more power if you spend a good part of a weekend putting it in.

I did all the K&N, jacobs ignition, blah blah NRP stainless do daad exhaust, big ass wires, etc.. and my 3.5 sure does sound cool, but it is embarassing when a Toyota RAV4 passes you on a 10 degree mountain highway incline going 80mph and you are dropping to a whopping 55.

I am doing a new/rebuilt engine with a hotter cam in the spring.

·
Series Moderator
536 Posts
Performance

Once you have fitted your filters and exhaust system,the next best mod is a performance camshaft,I fitted a piper last year and have improved fuel ecomomy by around 10% and is more drivable,also if your machine has over 80k on the clock the original cam can be worn to the point of been useless.

I return 220 miles to around 60 litres of lpg which roughly equates to around 16.5 mpg on a run,to around 15 mpg round town which for a low compression engine and carbs.However LPG does not like K+N filters so maybe worth considering this before buying.

Dont under estimate the effect of a worn cam also the chain and gears also wear,the timing chain streches altering the cam timing and again reducing power there is no point adding anything to your engine if this is the case.

Cheers ONz

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers, thanks guys.

So someone else told me i can fit Discovery I (94-99) and Defender (95-97) wheels.. Does that sound right to you?

Thanks again, Tim

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi

as standard you can only fit classic wheels and defender and discovery 1 onto it but for about $300 you can get adapters that allow fitment of any of the land rover/ range rover wheels from the classic forward to the present day. This is what Im doing on my classic and putting the nice triple sports onto my car.

Ive had a new engine on my classic 3.5 and its just run in and it goes really well, mines a manual if yours is lacking grunt it could be that the engine is worn and tired.

Doesnt matter if a RAV 4 passes you you have class and style they have a small box that nobody even notices!

simon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts