Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at purchasing a used Disco. I have spent a few hours reading the forum posts and am pretty sure I will buy one. Here are two vehicles I am looking at. All advise welcome.

I will not be doing a ton of off-roading but think this vehicle will be great for Calgarys winters and driving out to the mountains year round.

http://www.canadatrader.com/result/detailinfo.aspx?ID=13595948&pgno=1&srt=7

Price $15,995.00 ($13.5K USD)

Year 1997
Stock Number 995w
Transmission Automatic
KMs 74,000 (46,000 Miles)
Doors 4
Drive Train 4x4
Cylinders 6
Fuel Gas
Options : Air Conditioning, AM/FM Stereo, Anti-Theft, Cassette, Dual Air Bag, Rear Defroster, Tow Package, Intermittent Wipers, Anti-Lock Brakes, Alloy Wheels, CD Player, Heated Mirrors, Power Mirrors, Fog Lights, Roof Rack, Cruise Control, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Power Seat, Power Trunk, Removeable-Roof, All Equipped, Power Windows, Tinted Glass, Tilt Wheel, Tilt Steering, Leather Interior, Brush Guard, Running Boards, Off-Road Tires, Bucket Seats, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Power Locks,

also considering this one:

http://www.canadatrader.com/result/detailinfo.aspx?ID=14509963&pgno=1&srt=7

1999 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY 4X4, fully loaded, incl dual sunroof, leather, V8 auto, seller motivated, 160,000 kms. Ph (403) 341-5889 or (403) 302-1724, Red Deer, AB.

$14,7000 ($12.5K USD)
160,000 KM (99,000 Miles)

Maybe these aren't the two I should be looking at? They are on the high side of what I want to spend ($10K-$15K). What are the best years and models to look at/ avoid?

Thanks All!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
"Removeable-Roof"

Huh? Must be a misprint or just an ignorant dealer. That should be a warning that the seller knows very little about that vehicle.

Even with the low mileage of the first one, that is still a pretty high price for what it is. Discos are not that expensive unless you're buying from a dealer.
I think that if you have the time, you should shop around more.
Even if you don't plan to wheel it (much) you can get great deals on well set-up vehicles for sale by enthusiasts who know what they're selling.

A seller will never get back money for aftermarket modifications so as a buyer you are in a great position to benefit.

Think of how nice it would be to purchase a vehicle with two sets of wheels/tires or with some body armor added or even a winch. If you decide you really don't want or need that stuff, you can always sell it off and make a bit of $.

Try The Land Rover Exchange I think you'll find the prices a bit more realistic.

Best of luck,

Art Vigil

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
I have to agre with Art, both of those seem quite a bit more than the going rate. There are plenty of '97s in the $8K (us) range. Ten grand should get you into a '99, but then, I don't know what they bring in Canada. Agree also that Land Rover Exhchange is a good place to shop, if only to see what's out there and their going prices.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys appreciate the feedback.

It seems as though disco's are fetching a few more dollars up here but I travel to the US frequently so perhaps I will look at buying one stateside and bringing it back.

is the link supposed to be http://www.landroverexchange.com/? If so I guess the site is just down.

How would you compare the V6 to the V8? Any advise on what to look for/ avoid? What do you feel is the best model...Series 1 or 2?
Any other key advise for a newbie?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
First off, you're in the wrong forum heading if it's a Disco you're looking for, because this heading is for the series 1, 2, 2a and 2 trucks(the original Land Rovers). Look down the heading list and you will see the Discovery series 1 and 2 headings. Secondly, there is no V6 Discovery, Disco Series ones were only available in the US in 4.o liter V8, Rest of world in V8 Petrol or 200Tdi, and later 300 Tdi Diesel. Series 2 Discos came with 300 Tdi or 4.0 and 4.6 liter V8s.
Best if you get ahold of a copy of one of the good Land Rover magazines and study up on them

·
Registered
161 Posts
BowBafet said:
is the link supposed to be http://www.landroverexchange.com/? If so I guess the site is just down.
Yeah, the site must be down. Try again later. But even Autotrader will help you get an idea what they're worth.

~Art Vigil

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.