Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I just bought my first Land Rover. Its a 2002 Disco II. I paid 4K out the door through a dealer. It failed the inspection due to (please be kind, I know nothing about cars) what I believe they said was a head gasket leak (leaking oil onto exhaust) and some bearing issue (they used the words pittman joint and control arm I think???) And finally one or maybe both sunroofs leak.

The truck drives great and I drove it 3 hours home with no issues. A single mother owned it and only used it to pull a boat 10 miles from her house to the lake. I believe this bc it has a trailer brake system installed.

What would you guys do? Its in the shop with a mechanic I know personally and trust to sort out exactly what the problems are. Im just wondering if I am in over my head and should resell it and try to recoup my money.

Thanks Guys!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
So I just bought my first Land Rover. Its a 2002 Disco II. I paid 4K out the door through a dealer. It failed the inspection due to (please be kind, I know nothing about cars) what I believe they said was a head gasket leak (leaking oil onto exhaust) and some bearing issue (they used the words pittman joint and control arm I think???) And finally one or maybe both sunroofs leak.

The truck drives great and I drove it 3 hours home with no issues. A single mother owned it and only used it to pull a boat 10 miles from her house to the lake. I believe this bc it has a trailer brake system installed.

What would you guys do? Its in the shop with a mechanic I know personally and trust to sort out exactly what the problems are. Im just wondering if I am in over my head and should resell it and try to recoup my money.

Thanks Guys!
Have you seen the new series: "Dude, your screwed"? Have you heard the one about the little old lady who only drove it to church on Sunday? Getting my drift?
If it's really got the problems you say, they should have paid YOU to take it off their hands. Really. 4k? Their laughing all the way to the bank.
Your never going to get your money back out of it unless you screw someone else. DON'T DO IT!!! Take it like a man and fix it or sell it for a loss. I know it's an expensive life lesson, but hopefully you'll never do it again.

·
certified idiot
694 Posts
helievacpilot x2

However if you drove it 3 hours home with no engine problems and or overheating its not the head gaskets - probably the valve cover gaskets which are a $20 part and even more likely just the valve cover bolts are lose - they are well known for undoing themselves.
the pitman arm is the arm from the steering box that moves the wheels to turn the car - its likely either the steering box bearings or a set of ball joints that needs replacement or renovation.
doesnt matter how much you trust a mechanic - they see dollars just like everyone else does your best bet is to learn something about vehicles or you will always be a target

Sunroofs generally dont leak directly to the interior but the drain tubes get blocked and then the tray overflows and you get water inside - try a search for blocked sunroof drains.
Cheers
Barri

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you seen the new series: "Dude, your screwed"? Have you heard the one about the little old lady who only drove it to church on Sunday? Getting my drift?
If it's really got the problems you say, they should have paid YOU to take it off their hands. Really. 4k? Their laughing all the way to the bank.
Your never going to get your money back out of it unless you screw someone else. DON'T DO IT!!! Take it like a man and fix it or sell it for a loss. I know it's an expensive life lesson, but hopefully you'll never do it again.
I had the Rover checked out. The mechanic could not find any evidence of a head gasket leak. Also nothing found to be wrong with the suspension. Only thing they found were brake pads that need to be replaced soon. So now the only current issue is a leaking sunroof. Im going to cut the wires to them both and seal them up completely with a caulk or epoxy and call it done.

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Sunroof leaks are minor and easy to fix ... Way easier than dealing with head gasket leaks. I would say drain tube connectors broken or disconnected or plugged. Running down the corner near the windshield?
If so lower the headliner and check the tube to hose connections. I bet one is off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.