Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I would like to say hey to everyone.
Second, I have a 1997 4.6 HSE which I have owned for almost three years now. I love my truck! I have also had some problems like the air bags have popped and the truck would not blow hot air. But got all of those problems fixed. My new problem started a month ago when i noticed the normal noise of my truck was getting louder. Then I saw the oil light just quickly blink on. So I pulled the dipstick out and there was no oil in my truck. I had to add 5 quarts of oil. This was less than 1000 miles after i took it to the "stealer" to get the 135,000 mile service. So took it back to stealer and they replaced the oil pan and timing cover gaskets. Not even 500 miles later, the oil light blinked and i once again had not oil in my truck. Had to add 5 quarts and take it to the stealer again. they said that my truck is burning the oil but I have had no blue smoke come out of the pipes. I have no smoke what so ever come out of my exhaust. Has this happened to anyone?

·
Registered
76 Posts
take a look at the breather pipes.The 1 on the left rocker cover viewed from in front of truck has an oil seperator in the metal pipe that is part of the rocker cover.You should be able to to remove this with a small screw driver,Its a series of half disks mounted on a central spindle.If this blocks up then any blow past gases are sucked up the breather on the right hand R/Cover which is just a straight through pipe dragging oil mist with it.My truck drank oil at an alarming rate when mine blocked up.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok the breather pipes were clogged and replaced and still is sucking oil quick. The dealer said that cylinders 5 and 8 had oil on the pistons. can you have two rings go out on the same time? I had no problem until I took my truck into the shop.

·
Registered
76 Posts
unfortunately yes ,but it is an easy check.do a compression test on the cylinders and note the results.squirt a little engine oil into the cylinder and redo the test.The oil will will give a tempory seal,a large increase in pressure then the rings are shot,a small increase is just that the engine is cold and the piston is moving relatively slowly compared to normal running.

·
Registered
76 Posts
don't have the information with me but are cylinders 5 & 8 fed off the same ignition coil?.If you disconnect the right hand breather ,do you get a lot of pressure out of it when you rev the motor.The good news is any shop can do a compression test,so no trips to the stealers.or even cheaper buy a test guage and do the test yourself.
I lost a whole bank when a lambda sensor failed,the rings were ok but the bores were glazed.The only smoke out of the exhaust was when really pushing the pedal through the floor.

·
Registered
114 Posts
cauchos de las guias de valvulas .

;) Hola amigo ,siento mucho escribirte en Español ,pero mi ingles no es tan bueno para explicarte esto :
Cambia los cauchos de las guías de las válvulas eso es todo y no te preocupes mas todo volverá en su orden .
Saludos cordiales
Pascal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.