Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly, hi.
I'm from Houston, Texas -- knowledgeable enough to be dangerous with mechanics (much happier working on a 2ndary vehicle than the primary).

I perused a little but didn't find anything specific to what I'm looking at, but I also don't know QUITE how to search what I'm looking for.

So my wife's 2007 D2 has sat for over a year and we're about to start getting towards having it back on the road as a family vehicle to haul the baby, the great dane, and their stuff.

Guaranteed: Battery is dead and the CEL is on because the guy before us removed the automatic suspension, and now it comes up with a suspension issue. When I get it alive again I'll pull a code and see what more info I can get. I'm sure there will be some other issues with it from sitting for so long, but I need to replace the oil pan, allegedly, because it's dripping heavily.

Now for the questions:

1) Anyone have experience with Texas Inspections and having a CEL on for the suspension? Will it pass still or does it need to be fixed?
2) Anticipated issues and resolutions for sitting for so long? If I'm lucky it'll turn over and I can just run the muck out of it. But I anticipate plugs and things, just not sure what to look for.
3) Replacing the oil pan if it's cracked: easy enough for a driveway repair? What I've read says that it's messy af, and that jacking the front helps with the swaybar being in the way, but I know nothing about this vehicle really.

I know there's nothing to go off of really, but if y'all know where to find docs, links, vids, threads that discuss these things, etc to help me out, I'd really appreciate it! I'll keep digging in here and elsewhere on the web, but guidance would be phenomenal!

Thanks everyone.

·
1,854 Posts
Welcome,
you have a D2 or an LR3? No such thing as a 2007 D2. D2's stopped at 2004 (D2 1999-2004. LR3's from 2005-2009.
if its an LR3 due to your battery being dead or almost dead it will give you all sorts of error codes. You will need a new battery.
Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SafariDave,

It's a Discovery 2, so maybe it's the 2004...

I asked her and she wasn't sure. We might have a 2001 Mercedes E550 too.... I at least know what year MY car is lol

It's about 30 minutes away in a Condo parking lot, so I haven't taken the time to gather those stats, but I'm 90% sure it's the Discovery2.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
The CEL (or SES) is for engine codes. You'll get other lights for other issues, such as 3 Amigos, etc.

You're looking at about $1,000. to get it into road-ready shape- to where it won't eat a diff, TC or engine.

The oil pan probably isn't cracked. The valve cover gaskets leaked badly, as well as the front cover, but not quite so bad. The pan will leak as will the rear main. All fixable except the rear seal- motor out on that.

Spend some time in the D2 section looking at driveline maintenance, replacing everything in the cooling system and common issues. Before doing anything, make sure the frame isn't rotten- common problem. Windshield frame too. Either makes pouring a bunch of $$ into it a losing proposition.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you are looking for a daily driver, sell it and buy something else. Your D2 requires constant attention and I mean constant. You would do better just driving it on the weekends for fun.
Yeah it won't be a daily -- my Mitsubishi Outlander Sport is my daily, and the Mercedes E550 will be hers (when we get the new rim on it and get it going again.. ugh life).

Definitely just going to be a weekend hauler and an occasional change from the Mitsu, but gas mileage will limit its use for sure!

The CEL (or SES) is for engine codes. You'll get other lights for other issues, such as 3 Amigos, etc.

You're looking at about $1,000. to get it into road-ready shape- to where it won't eat a diff, TC or engine.

The oil pan probably isn't cracked. The valve cover gaskets leaked badly, as well as the front cover, but not quite so bad. The pan will leak as will the rear main. All fixable except the rear seal- motor out on that.

Spend some time in the D2 section looking at driveline maintenance, replacing everything in the cooling system and common issues. Before doing anything, make sure the frame isn't rotten- common problem. Windshield frame too. Either makes pouring a bunch of $$ into it a losing proposition.
Good info! Thanks. It was running like a champ before it just got left to sit - brand new driveshaft actually, and that was all it needed, other than whatever was causing the massive oil leak she was getting. Relationships.. inheriting each others lives.. good and bad.. hahaha

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Pleas tell us it's a d2 and NOT a LR2!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With that attitude and if you approach with your eyes wide open, then you may very well have a good time with it. As long as you own it, it will be a love/hate relationship. I love mine - at least today.
Well, she won't part with it unless she can get an older model (she had a Discovery first) or something much newer (or likely, different. I pointed out G-Wagons to her :|). Can't blame her on her tastes!

Pleas tell us it's a d2 and NOT a LR2!!!
Definitely a D2 -- I mispoke and it's a 2004. She chastised me for not remembering... The Merc is '07

I still haven't picked it up and checked on anything... tsk tsk.. but soon my FIL will have a garage properly built for such a task. Better than our driveway or the street. Crazy bastard built a garage bigger than his house and he's going to put some lifts in it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.