Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to introduce myself, say hello, and say I'm really excited about the 2006 LR3 HSE we just bought. Absolutely loving it so far.

Now on to the questions...

1. Most urgently, the key FOB (we only got one from the dealer) only seems to work sometimes. On occasion. Sometimes it doesn't work at all, and I need to manual unlock (and the alarm goes off, which is annoying). I was going to change the battery in the key FOB transmitter, but then read something on Google about maybe this being a common issue in the car itself. Any ideas? Is there an easy, common fix for this?

2. I have ready that these cars commonly have electrical or other issues. I was willing to take the plunge, and I'm not regretting (yet!) that I did. Anything I should be keeping an eye out for as a new owner?

3. More generally, any common upgrades, tweaks, tips that are known on this forum but wouldn't be known to a newbie? I don't mind some slight tinkering. In fact, after owning it just a day, I saw the mesh grills available on eBay and love the look, so I ordered one and swapped it in. Looks great! Just wondering what other little tweaks I might make.

Thanks all!
Otis

·
Registered
37 Posts
It sounds like your key fob battery might be dying. It's possible but not as common that there is corrosion on the wires leading to the receivers on the car but probably not as likely.

Step 1 is to buy another key. Not having 2 keys is just asking for trouble. Bite the bullet an pay the dealer the ~$400 for another fob.

If the new Fob works everytime. you'll need to replace the batter in the old fob. Its not a fun job but it can be done.
Here are the exact parts I used to fix mine:
-Battery $12
-New shell $11(It's gonna break)
-Model Glue
-Soldering iron/steady hand

It's not fun but hell, if you succeed you'll save yourself a couple hundred.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sounds like your key fob battery might be dying. It's possible but not as common that there is corrosion on the wires leading to the receivers on the car but probably not as likely.

Step 1 is to buy another key. Not having 2 keys is just asking for trouble. Bite the bullet an pay the dealer the ~$400 for another fob.

If the new Fob works everytime. you'll need to replace the batter in the old fob. Its not a fun job but it can be done.
Here are the exact parts I used to fix mine:
-Battery $12
-New shell $11(It's gonna break)
-Model Glue
-Soldering iron/steady hand

It's not fun but hell, if you succeed you'll save yourself a couple hundred.
Thanks, this is helpful. You're right about the extra FOB, I really should have a second key. I'll get one purchased and take it from there.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Just and FYI, I ordered a key from an outfit in CA. Another fellow locally also ordered one. He got his cut, and determined that it would not be programmable. I contacted the company and arranged to ship the key back, which I did. Months later, I still had not received a refund, I contacted them. They insisted they did not receive it. I sent them proof of delivery, they still wanted to argue. Finally they claimed I had cut the key, so they would not refund me, which I did not. I have contacted them every few months ever since, and never received a refund, only BS, stalling and ignoring my requests. I would suggest, ordering it through a dealer or online dealer, but NOT these third party keys. I would suggest avoiding doing business with this outfit. It has not been a year and a half, and I'm out my 129.00 + shipping.

John Jones
[email protected]
Remote's Inc.
1564 Fitzgerald Drive - Unit #118
Pinole, CA

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.