Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did not see an alternate location for introductions mentioned in the FAQ, so I'm posting here. Move it if needed.

I just joined because I am currently exploring the option of getting my first LR. We currently have an Audi A4 3.0 Quattro and a Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 QC LB Cummins. The A4 is my daily driver and the Ram is my wife's daily driver. I typically change vehicles every couple of years and it is coming up on that time again. There has been a bit of variety in my choices. Here is the quick list: Subaru Outback wagon, Subaru WRX wagon, VW Jetta TDI sedan, A4 sedan, and three Dodge Rams. As you can see, there has been a little bit of variety. For long trips, up to 8-9,000 miles, we have normally taken the Ram, either the current one or the one before. The A4 has also taken a couple of long trips, including coming home from New England during a blizzard New Years weekend 2004.

Here is why I am considering a LR. Many years ago in North Carolina, I had an S-10 4x4 pickup that I enjoyed taking through some of the forest trails. I wouldn't call them roads, but I enjoyed it. During many of our trips in the Ram 4x4 from our home near Chicago to locations out west, there have been times being able to explore a bit more off road would have been nice. For example, with a more capable vehicle, we would have drove the White Rim Trail while visiting Arches NP in Utah. Finally, we have a farm in the Ozarks of southern Missouri and it would be nice to run around our property and run some of the Ozark trails while we are down there. The Ram 4x4 can do some of this, but the length and width are a hinderance for tighter trails. So, that is why getting a LR is under consideration.

The LR I am considering is the LR3/Disco 3 V8 HSE. I have driven by the dealer in Hoffman Estates, IL and liked the look of them. The V8 will provide straight line performance not too far off of my A4, though obviously cornering will be slower. I think that is a trade off I can live with. I am looking at the HSE due to the seat height adjustability not available on the SE.

Are there any Chicago dealers that are better to work with than others in the area? When I go for the test drive, are there variations in the off-road course between the dealers or are they pretty much the same?

I have some vehicle specific questions, but will ask them in that forum section.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Welcome to LRO,

I was lost in your post, what were your questions?
From what I read, you want a LR to climb all over creation, well, good choice.
The Suby is a nice choice as well, and more suited to you IMHO if you are used to rolling an A4.

Im in CA, so I cant offer any help with the Chicicago referal.

Good luck, and post some picks of what Land Rover you get.

Mark
2000 Discovery SII

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.