Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all.. just recently purchased an 02 discovery with 130k. some small issues but hey.. its gonna be a trip. looking forward to being on the forum.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have a vibration in the drivetrain.. already rebuilt the factory driveshaft.. still there. Right rear door won't unlock with the central locking, rear wiper is inop. Sunroofs leak and are inop. And some idiot ripped out the air bix an d put in an autozone cone filter. Other than that I think it's pretty cherry. Some other stupid things.. that's the stuff that stands out.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'd say try to tighten the nut on the wiper blade. If it's lose it won't work. How long ago was the driveshaft rebuilt? The sunroofs will always leak. Lol. I used gasket sealer to seal them up. Any other type of sealant will work too. If you need an airbox, look on craigslist for used Rover parts. Or get them from Rover Guy. Buying them new is $$$$.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I rebuilt it myself yesterday and installed it today. All new serviceable u-joints.

I'll have to check the nut on the wiper.. but I don't even hear it run.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Already did... The rear u-joint has a zirk fitting.. and the rotoflex coupler is in good shape.

How much play should I expect to see at the input and output shafts?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so when i grab the driveshaft and i have some play at the output shaft on the front diff, thats bad on one of these?

·
Registered
380 Posts

Disregard all what this guy says, just look at the play, its normal.

EDIT: that play is acceptable, if you can grab your shaft and move it up and down instead of twisting as shown, then you need an output shaft bearing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hmm.. i do have some up and down play if i remember correctly. the truck is box stock aside from the assanine cone filter. so i have to remove the transfercase? or does that end of the case come off? it does leak a little from there as it is.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have heard people replacing the output shaft bearing with the transfercase still installed, I think there is a sticky on Discoweb.org on the output bearing. I would also do the high mileage service also posted on the top of the forums.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
When you replaced the front u-joints, did you also replace the centering ball, if not it will fail before you get very far into your trip.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I pretty much completed the highmile service. It has a new serp belt as it is.. New plugs and wires are a must I know about that. Drained and refilled both diffs and t-case. Trans service is next as it was 1.5 qts low when I bought it.(minor leak at trans pan) I'm just trying to sort out the big stuff first. I did not replace the centering ball as the one i the shaft has a zirk in it.. so i assume it was replaced already, however I did not know it could be replaced until after I replaced all the universals and reinstalled the shaft. I did grease the beans out of everything though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.