Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:wave: :homerthum :homerthum :homerthum :wave:

Ive just bought an 1997(R) Discovery 300tdi es manual when i took it for a test drive the ABS light was on and would not go off i told the garage about this and they said they would put it on the computer to see what was wrong.
can some one tell me how the ABS System works and what the common cause for this and how to prevent it happen in the future.

Also the high/low diff lock gearbox how does that work?
which is the best setting for normal road driving and which one for off road use?
:wave:

·
Registered
34 Posts
A.b.s.

Hi Zero,

The ABS system on the Discoveries, seems to work along the lines of 2 fault codes, both are stored in the ECU to be read by a 'scanner' Some faults appear to be 'hard' codes which can only be turned off by dealers and garages with the right equipment ( broken stop/brake light switch, etc. anything that may need to be replaced) and 'soft' codes ( speed sensors not reading the teeth in-side the hubs) These 'soft' codes can be switched off by the ECU if the fault is no longer there. On start up the abs light will illuminate and if 'no faults' are detected then the light will go off once you drive over 5 mph/8kph and the system then works normally.

As you are buying from a dealer make sure that the light comes on at start up and then goes away once you drive over 5mph, some dealers may remove the abs light so the seller may think that there is no problem. The car can still be driven but the abs system is switched off.

This problem with the abs has been discussed at great length in this forum. My 97 Disco had big problems, it turned out my stop/brake light switch was broken. I replaced it but the car still had to have the ecu reset by a dealer for the ABS light to go off but I know that other faults, such as speed sensors not reading the teeth will go away without the need for a scanner/dealer equipment. Once you fix that fault.

Let the dealer sort it out but make sure the light comes on then goes out, it can be a major headache.

Peace,
Wes in Oz

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:drive:
thanks for that wes i will check that when i go to pick up the disco on 3rd march
ignition on light comes on then goes off when i drive over 5mph.
:)

also can you explain how the high - low gear box works
cheers mate as i new to this all info greatly recieved.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.