Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The good news, I just bought a 1990 RR County, Portofino.
Now for the bad news, the icy roads and tires decided to safety test the bull bar, hood, grille, left front fender and turn signal assembly.

Family was safe, wife loves the vehicle more now, doors are not misaligned and we drove the vehicle home, no leaks or other indications of damage to the mechanicals.

I priced these items online (ebay and a few other sites) and figure that for the parts (plus shipping) it will run me approximately $1700 (low estimate). Still need to acquire the paint and have the painting done.

Now for the questions. Can I purchase Portofino from a dealer? Should I report this incident to my insurance company? Since they will factor in the entire job (parts, labor, etc...), which I believe will exceed the $5K purchase price.
I work on my bimmers and MIA 4Runner, how difficult would removal and replacement of parts be for doing the work oneself? Obviously I would have the parts professionally painted. Any parts places in the western US I should be aware of?

Thanks for listening. I'll give you some pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh...

And I need to name the beast. Any ideas, given I only had her 2.5 hours before bending her on a guard rail?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Just tell your insurance company you hit a dog. Anyone see "Jackass?
As for a name for your beast, how about DA MAGNET! :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Disco said:
Just tell your insurance company you hit a dog. Anyone see "Jackass?
As for a name for your beast, how about DA MAGNET! :D
Thanks for the advice, but I won't be telling the insurance company about the fender bender, since I just claimed the 4Runner that was stolen same day. Beware the Ides of January! Wife likes the name DA MAGNET, might even see if we can get a personalized plate "DMAGNET" Fitting since it is red like a magnet.

These vehicles are tough. The ARB BB slightly bent the frame up only locally where the two join. Relatively easy fix, just need to find someone to do it for a resonable rate. After further searching parts with no paint are going to run me $1525, including the ARB BB.

Here's a link to the pic.

·
Registered
93 LWB KITTED 95 LWB Chop Top 03 D2
213 Posts
ARB makes a killer front bumper that is super beefy.. I can tell you that if you are in a place where ice is an issue, You'd be better off having something a little more aggressive in the front. A couple of nice lights mounted to them tends to dress up these cars more than anything.. When i compare the tube push bars to the ARB I cant see why anyone would mount the tube bars if they had an opportunity to mount the ARB bar. My brothers 91 RR had a tube bar and it was beat to hell because it had been hit and bent back out. The mouning tabs on it were some flimsey thin steel. The ARB mounts directly to your frame, and any dammage in an accident will more likely be to the other car, and not yours... This may be an added incentive to spend the extra money for an ARB, because you wont' have to paint or bondo if this happens again.

The ARB bumper comes in a winch model and NON winch. The non winch is less money and is more streamlined ( better looking too imho) The non winch is probably a better bet for you.. I had this on my 88RR with some nice fat lights

As for the portofino red, you can get it cheaper through non dealer sources like Rovers North, British Pacific, atlantic british,Dap.

the first place you need to read up on is http://www.rangerovers.net/

PS I wrote this a couple of days before i posted this..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts