Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all fellow travellers,

I'm living in Australia on the coast and very close to the high country, 300ks. from Melbourne. I used to own a LWB series 11A [fitted with a Holden 6 cylinder motor that was an electrical nightmare] about 25 yrs. ago, but have forgotten everything I [didn't] know about these vehicles that have a capital 'A' for...personality !!

I am living amoung 4WD Nevada here and have been offered a 67' SWB in exc. original contd.[with gas duel fuel] with 90,000ks. for $3500 with roadworthy certificate and 12mths. registration. I know these vehicles are noisy, lack comfort and are slow on the highway, but are they reasonably reliable ?

This is a nice looking very original unit, but parts [cost?] and reliability worry me. I can afford more than this [$8k if need be] but if this model has no demons to speak of, why pay more to head into the very close hills camping ?

Any advice would be great !!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
a1967 landy with only 90000kms on the clock, if that is true it is only just run in, suggest you get a RACV inspection to ease your mind, buy it and enjoy the alpine country around home, and may you also bag a samba or two on your travels. Your description of being slow noisy and UNCOMFORTABLE is on the money and as to your question 'are they reliable', what car that age is reliable. It comes down to loving attention and murphies law. :drive: :drive:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Lebell Frost,
As far as reliability, sure things will break, as in any vehicle, but I think the advantage that a series truck has is that *when* it breaks it can be fixed with a minimum of effort.

Heck, you can prolly swap out all 4 shocks on the vehicle in the time it would take to diagnose what the suspension problem is in one of these computer controlled monsters.

Spark plugs? 15 minutes, try that in a v8 with a myriad of vacum and other tubing all over the engine bay. Water pump, ok, maybe an hour or two for a newbie.

But I'd say if you pack the relevant spares (I had to get a tow once because I didn't have a spare condensor in the cab) you should be able to get moving again in a minimum of time as long as it's not a fatal problem...

Bogatyr

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies folks.

Yes, I like the non-computer aspect of the early vehicles and for any readers in Aust. - does the price sound about right and are [most common anyway] spares available easily enough for these early models ?

·
Profesional Hunter
443 Posts
In South africa a SII 88" will set you back over R35000!
And the Aussy Dollar is not worth R10!!!! It sure sounds a good buy to me.

Just look for rust on all the normal places, Bulkhead & Chassis.
Also oil leaks, although those can be fixed very easy, it will cost some of your hard earned cash.

For mountain driving I will also look at the brakes, but again if it can go through a road worthy I guess the brakes will be OK.

·
Registered
12 Posts
A SIIa would be about as relieable as you can get in a Series Landy I have had mine for 3 years and have never had a problem that I couldnt fix by the side of the road atleast long enough to nurse her home again. But you do need to keep an eye on them, I mostly use mine to run about 20 mile round trips a few times a week and she is totally fine, but as I am off for a weekend away next weekend and looking at doing a few hundred miles so I will be giving her a quick service and a good check but as I say I travel with a full set of tools and the most obvious spares.

The price sounds not to bad I bought mine for £2000 and she has needed a few things but she is a good runner, go and buy it and have fun. :drive:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.