Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got this fantastic vehicle. 04, D2, with under 50k miles, SE7, auto trans. White exterior/tan interior.

My intention is to tow my enclosed trailer with this vehicle that will need a controller to operate the *trailers electric brakes.
I have located a supplier of the 4-pin flat connector with the converter (to work with the trailer turn signals, running & brake lites), but the supplier of that converter box said that an electric brake controller screws up the vehicles electrical system!*

On previous vehicles I have owned, I simply took power via a fused supply from the battery to the controller and back to the trailer plug, and then connected via a splice into the brake lite switch circuit, and for the most part ya done.

Is this ok or should I fabricate / install an additional micro switch to trigger the brake applied activation that the brake controller needs to operate?

Any suggestions ???

Another thing, where have people placed the brake controller, the copit is a little cramped?

I have read a bunch on this site and you guys are a great help. Thanks in advance.
Regards......Ian, the Crazy Brit, Allentown PA.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
If you buy and use the Rover convertor that plugs into your wire harness back inside the r/r tail light assembly then have a good trailor shop set you up with the correct controller you will be fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike.
I had intended on using the LR plug in light controller but it was the supplier of this who said I'd have issues with the electronic brake controller.

Do you see an issue taking the controller brake feed signol from the existing brake switch?
You wouldn't anticipate any issues throwing up codes etc?

Thanks......Ian

PS/ I have many more questions re what should I be doing to the vehicle before I tow, but 1st I need to order / install the brake and lighting stuff. Ian

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
There I can't help you.
Have you looked at and done my major service list posted at the top of this section.
Have you rebuilt or replaced your front drive shaft?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I ended up putting my brake controller underneath the dash on the left a couple inches from the left wall. I initially ruled that spot out but after placing it there it works well and have never hit my legs on it. good mounting spot too for the screws, just predrilled the metal and used small diameter bolts. This way there was less distance to go from the brake pedal. Let me know if you want a pic.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I ended up putting my brake controller underneath the dash on the left a couple inches from the left wall. I initially ruled that spot out but after placing it there it works well and have never hit my legs on it. good mounting spot too for the screws, just predrilled the metal and used small diameter bolts. This way there was less distance to go from the brake pedal. Let me know if you want a pic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will take you up on your offer of a picture if it is not to much trouble.
What brake controller did you use?
I assume you took a lead from the battery to power the controller / "Blue" brake line feeding the trailer plug.
Did you simply pickup the energized side of the brake light switch to activate the controller or did you put an independent additional brake lite switch in to give the controller the signal ?
Thaanks for the help guys.
Regards....Ian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts