Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm looking at becoming a member of the Land Rover family since my Jeep recently died. I dont know much about Discovery's other than the the fact that the oil pumps are notorious for failure. Hell, the only thing I know about LR's is my neighbor's Range Rover Sport is constantly in the shop.

Can you guys tell me if I am getting a good deal on this particular 2003 LR SE?

Its listed at $14950, KBB says it should be more like 11,200 but the mileage is super low at 49,000.

How bad is the maintenance and such on the Discovery?

VIN: SALTY16423A783089

Land Rover : Discovery SE in Land Rover | eBay Motors

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
$6000 to $8000 is the going range for most area of the states, you can buy a 04 for under $10000 and get a better vehicle with a locking t/case and virtually no oil pump issues for the most part, the oil pump issue was based on some molding issues for a certain vinn range.
What would you be look to use a Disco for?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help. Unfortunately there aren't many 04's locally, I'll need to broaden my search outside of Philadelphia.

Daily driver.

·
Super Moderator
2,162 Posts
Comparing a jeep to a rover is like comparing a moped to a Harley Davidson.
Yes the both do the same job but there is little comparison.
Keep looking til you find the right one and have it inspected by someone who knows rovers before you do the deal

·
disco biscuit
1,061 Posts
Its funny to me how people will ask 10k more than that things worth just because it sat in their garage for ten years. I guarantee you will have to rebuild everything on that truck if you start driving it everyday. Get one that has regular maintenance, and a regular life. That's like me sitting in my house for three years then all sudden jump up and go run track. It just don't work that way.

·
Registered
378 Posts
The average person doesn't see it this way. They see 49,000 miles and think "oh wow it's almost brand new."

The truck looks clean but it will need a lot of work.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
150 Posts
How far are you willing to drive/ travel to get a D2? I love my 2000 D2, but I didn't expand my searching and actually got a bad D2. I've put A LOT of money into her so that she could run properly! Be smart searching, look at everything!

·
Registered
356 Posts
that's a sexy looking truck, but look closely. i can't tell, but are the tires not a matching set??

one of my rules is never trust a used car that doesn't have matching set tires. never know what else the skimped on.
plus it needs to be a 7 passenger!!
as noted above that truck is only worth about $8000

·
Registered
1 Posts
$6000 to $8000 is the going range for most area of the states, you can buy a 04 for under $10000 and get a better vehicle with a locking t/case and virtually no oil pump issues for the most part, the oil pump issue was based on some molding issues for a certain vinn range.
What would you be look to use a Disco for?
How do you find the vin numbers of the 03's, that have the oil pump issue?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Always check NADA most banks loan out according to those people.
Parts are expensive, very expensive. If you don't replace with new parts then your going to be calling Will or junk yards more frequently. I just traded in my 01 after throwing tons of parts on.
But if you have the bug and are mechanically inclined go for it, if the price reflects NADA.
They are tanks, go through anything and I mean anything. Mine was caught in an 18" snow fall and it just plowed through it like a hot knife on butter.
JMTCW:D

·
And I didn't even submit a proposal...
202 Posts
Even if you're not in the VIN range for the oil pump failure, a failure is a very real possibility. But it's not that big of a deal to replace it. This forum has been a great source of information for keeping our Disco on the road.

As far as maintenance, it's certainly not a machine that you can neglect for very long. It's the kind of vehicle that you have to keep a close eye on constantly, and you have to get very knowledgeable about it if you want it to be fun and not too expensive to operate.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The condition of the interior is what you have to take into consideration here for the price. It isn't just about mileage and year... This is probably the last D2 on the planet with a clean tan interior...

If you want a truck with an immaculate interior you're going to pay and in my opinion if it was black interior it would be worth it because you could make it last. When i went out shopping for mine i wanted one with a like new interior, paid heck of a lot more than i would want to but out of the 12 i looked at, it was in another level. Hard to keep an interior clean for 10 years.

Whatever breaks mechanically can be fixed...whens the last time you saw a door panel on e-bay or classifieds that was in like new condition? Or seats? Not going to find it... but you can find a heck of a lot of used mechanical parts...

I planned/plan on keeping my D2 for a long time and it was worth it to pay another $2k on top of the average price to get a truck with a new interior.

To each his own.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts