Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thats right, my newest modifcation is a brand new Nikon D50. Ive been looking at DSLRs for a while and had my heart originally set on a Panisonic DMC-FZ20 (non-DSLR), but when the Nikon D50 came out, it was amazing. I use D70's and D100's in yearbook so its very cool that its so similar. I believe that a good camera is very important to have while off-roading and going on 'adventures'. I wish I had this camera when I did my black rock and rubicon trips. I know its not an actuall modification, but its something you should have; the time was right (next paragraph), and I jumped on the opprotunity.

This doesnt mean that I cant get sliders this winter, but it might eat into the expense for sliders AND something else...we will have to see. I believe it is totally worth it. The price was right, the local goodguys is going out of business and had a crazy mega uberduper blowout sale. (I didnt get there in time but they were selling IPOD video's (brand new $350+) for $100/ipod.) It is the Outfit version which means it comes with one of the new Nikon DX Nikkor lenses, to compare, pricegrabber starts selling this kit for around $850.00. I bought this for $620!!!!! (really crazy :eek: :eek: :eek: )

I then paid another $150+ on a Pelican 1400 case, a SanDisk UltraII 1gb SD card (note; this is the first Nikon DSLR to use SD cards vs. CF), and $25 for (and to ship from NY) a multicoated Hoya UV filter (I know I overpaid, but not by too much?....its multicoated :D ....), and I applied those little plastic cover things (for PDA's and what not) to the two screens on the camera to protect them.

The whole setup is awesome; the pelican case and card got here in two days. I selected ground mail to save a few bucks for the hoya filter without noticing it was being shipped from new york :D ; its in IL right now....its been 6 days since I ordered it.

I cut the pelican case to fit the camera and everything it came with. I left enough room for a bunch of little accesories (ie. filters) and perhaps a telescopic lens later on. The case itself is very strong, thick and durable feeling. The pelican brochure it came with shows a car driving over one. They are military grade and have a "UNCONDITIONAL LIFETIME GUARRENTEE," thier motto is "If You Break it, We Replace it...Forever." Good stuff...

The camera itself is 6.1 (usable) Mega Pixels. Obviously its not the MP that matters because ive got a little 6MP camera that takes good, but compared to this, crappy pictures. The camera is amazing, and with the UltraII SD card, it allows me to take up to about 2-2.2pics/sec, not the full 2.5/sec, but damn fast....err....also depends on lighting and other conditions.

Ive tried taking pics on full res, they are awesome, very clear and I believe the auto with this camera is much better then the D70/D100, though I do miss having two dials (f-stop and shutter speed now combine into one, shutter is controlled by dial, f-stop you hold down a button while turning dial.)

I have no way of including the 5mb test shot of my watch because my computer is down again (and I'd have to upload it to my site), but you can go to http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond50/page27.asp to see its potential, and http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond50/ to go through the super in-depth review.

· Registered
60 Posts
Good shooting...

Good move on the camera - although most of the time I'm photographing beautiful women - I do take the thing everywhere with me! I can safely say that it is used every single day!

The move to SLR is the best you could do too! As you invest in lenses ...etc you will only need to upgrade the body in future - so the most cost effective choice in my opinion.

A bit like buying a Disco really...

My asscosciate in art Gabriele (www.gabrielerigon.it) and I have had many conversations about the "pixel race" and we have come to the conclusion - no matter how many pixels you have - if the lens is rubbish you're just gathering more rubbish pixels - so go for the very best lenses you can!

Sorry, if I'm preaching to the choir - but this is a subject very dear to my heart!

Have fun and as Gabriele says - "Good light, my friend!"

Cheers,

Mark HH

· Registered
188 Posts
Great camera. I recently picked up the Canon 350D (8mp) for $269 new off the shelf. It's a $995 camera normally but I happened to hit the place at the right time. Spent more on Canon lenses than the camera itself but really happy with the quality and features.

· Registered
2,562 Posts
Nice choice.......I picked up a d-70 almost a year ago.
pick up a 512 card and or a 256. you NEED A BACK UP......i was on assignment for a job and my gig card took a crap....lost over 400 images. I hired a friend to shoot the job as well we were well covered but that is part of going non film. I have 6 film bodies down stairs collecting dust.

get the program PHOTOSHOP and go to town.

congrats again

· Premium Member
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
75series3 said:
Nice choice.......I picked up a d-70 almost a year ago.
pick up a 512 card and or a 256. you NEED A BACK UP......i was on assignment for a job and my gig card took a crap....lost over 400 images. I hired a friend to shoot the job as well we were well covered but that is part of going non film. I have 6 film bodies down stairs collecting dust.

get the program PHOTOSHOP and go to town.

congrats again
thanks everyone

75series3, ill look into a back-up card, but I dont have much $$ atm, so probably just have to rely on this one and others, about photoshop; im way ahead of ya ;) , ive been using PS for years, I own PS7.0 and PSCS (1) as of a couple months ago. I love photoshop, I use it a lot when I am bored too;

· Registered
707 Posts
oberdahill said:
Great camera. I recently picked up the Canon 350D (8mp) for $269 new off the shelf. It's a $995 camera normally but I happened to hit the place at the right time. Spent more on Canon lenses than the camera itself but really happy with the quality and features.

How in the hell did you pull that off.... LUCKY...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.