Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for an explanation and details on Nikasil and Alusil?

I know that BMW used Nikasil and Alusil to line the cylinders of certain engines when they owned Land Rover during the Disco Series I years - However, I am not clear on when specifically when each one was used and why?

If I understand correctly, according to a internet website search there were many issues with the linings of Nikasil? This reaction caused damage to the very top of the bore, involving combusting fuel and the cylinder lining. The damage therefore prevented a good seal from forming between the piston and the cylinder wall, causing a loss of compression in the combustion chamber. , this "leak down" caused the worn linings to exhibit a rough idle and "slipped sleeve."

The only permanent fix for this problem is the replacement of the short block with the equivalent block using Alusil linings, which do not exhibit this corrosion problem. Is this true? Your thoughts?

Does anyone know the make and model numbers of the engine(s) affected? How do I find out what engine is in my 1997 Disco? Did at some point Land Rover cover the replacement of the affected engines? If so, when and for how long? Lastly, where do I find service bulletin's issued by Land Rover. All this is reference to Landy having very similar issues and inquiring to see if the above is the reason(s)?

Cheers.

Feel free to contact if you seek additional information.

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
As best as I recall, TerryS answered a similar question not so long ago on this forum. No doubt he will see your post and give you all the information you need. Personally, I don't know anything about it. Cheers.

·
Banned
914 Posts
Local shop here will "notch" the sleeves, when new ones are installed. This prevents the slipping....Not sure on the cost of "re-sleeving", but I have a 4.0L sitting here that is going in for two new sleeves (if really needed), and new bore (most likly 30 over). So, I should be able to tell you the price soon...

That does not answer all your questions, but there are other options than replacing the entire block.

·
Banned
914 Posts
honybears said:
For all recalls and service bulletins go to www.nthsa.dot.gov and go to the links area for recalls. There is quite a list of service bulletins for the Disco ( Who would of thought?) Good Luck.... :rellye
Link not working for me....Anyone know if they ever recalled the POS Auto-Dim Mirror? I replaced the one in my 1999 right from Magnelly Donnley(sp), but they won't do that anylonger.

·
Registered
111 Posts
frickjp said:
No LR was ever affected by this issue. The problem was long gone before BMW bought LR.

^^ He is correct, the problem effected E34 5 series, E31 8 Series, and E32 7 series, the 3.0 liter V8 and the 4.4 liter V8, it was adressed by 1995, so we have nothing to worry about, BMW did adress the problem with full engine replacements that got a whole another 50,000 mile warranty.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Disco said:
As best as I recall, TerryS answered a similar question not so long ago on this forum. No doubt he will see your post and give you all the information you need. Personally, I don't know anything about it. Cheers.
Thanks for the plug, D.
LRXD, Land Rover engines don't use any exotic cylinder liners, they're plain old cast iron, probably .40-.50 C (carbon content) Personally, I can't see using anything else anyway, It's a tried and true liner material. Too bad they didn't use T lipped liners though. There are a few companies redoing LR blocks with T lip liners. Smatter of fact, I might try it on one I have waiting for a rebuild.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.