Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to cry.... I got gas tuesday nite it was $2.89, this morning, it was $3.29, (wed) and tomorrow its suppose to be around $4. What the hell is going on here!?!?!?!?

Katrina could not make a difference like that THAT FAST....damn price gouging :complain:

· Registered
47 Posts
As of late this evening, the cheapest I have seen in Queens, NY is $3.05 for premium. I filled up this afternoon at $2.95, but it seems that's history now. I have seen premium for as much as $3.75 per gallon tonight.

· Registered
2,562 Posts
My wife works with a guy who was filling up this morning..........when he started pumping it was $3.09 a gallon and by the time he finished they had raised it to $3.29 a gallon............he had to pay the $ 3.29
talk about bad timing.
They are going to ration gas here starting today or in the a.m. on Friday the 2 of August

· Registered
44 Posts
This whole gas thing makes me nuts. Prices have gone up around $0.60/gal overnight. I understand that if the stations' costs increase so do the prices at the pump but there is no way that all of these stations have gotten new more expensive fuel deliveries. Sometimes I think if the media didnt say that prices were going to rise they wouldnt rise as fast. All you hve to do is give these guys an excuse to raise prices and they do.

Ok, that feels a little better. BTW, yesterday I filled both Rovers for under $2.70/gal and started riding my bicycle to work today.

· Premium Member
1,301 Posts
Last weekend before all of this crazy stuff happened gas was 3.25 in Southampton, NY. It must be over 4.00 by now!

· Premium Member
1,301 Posts
jeffreydv said:
This whole gas thing makes me nuts. Prices have gone up around $0.60/gal overnight. I understand that if the stations' costs increase so do the prices at the pump but there is no way that all of these stations have gotten new more expensive fuel deliveries. Sometimes I think if the media didnt say that prices were going to rise they wouldnt rise as fast. All you hve to do is give these guys an excuse to raise prices and they do.

Ok, that feels a little better. BTW, yesterday I filled both Rovers for under $2.70/gal and started riding my bicycle to work today.
I AGREE, we are getting porked !

· Support Our Troops
3,383 Posts
Man this sucks. Here in upstate NY the cheapest premium I have seen is $3.60

But wait a sec, I dont have to pay for my gas directly :D We have a pump at the office and seeing how my dad is the owner and I am next in line I get to fill up free free and if I am on the road we have company cards for Mobil.

I am not trying to brag, but it is nice to not be affected by the pricing of something for once. :clap: :clap: :clap:

:drink1:

2,687 Posts
apbtpetey said:
But wait a sec, I dont have to pay for my gas directly :D We have a pump at the office and seeing how my dad is the owner and I am next in line I get to fill up free free and if I am on the road we have company cards for Mobil.
Wanna be my friend? :drink1:

· Mod. --- I'm watching you
319 Posts
Searcaigh said:
Strange the oil companies have been quoting record profits this year :confused

Is there any truth behind what you pay for gas over in the middle east? I heard .09 to .10 cents per gallon...

Either way the gas companies are totally screwing the public. The Fed needs to step in and make the insanity stop, because if they don't the market is going to crash...

But hey like you said at least we know who has plenty of money... its legal extortion...

· Mod. --- I'm watching you
319 Posts
I filed a complaint to the DOE last night... everyone else should do the same.

· Registered
590 Posts
I was driving my wifes loaner car today a 04 or 05 lexus rx something. Drives like the pontiac vibe Land Rover mission viejo gave me one time. I believe it is front wheel drive as I took it on the famed ortega hwy and it felt like a front wheel drive sob.

anyhow, the ortgega had an accident so I ended up canceling my trip to the oc and coming home, but as I came home I called my dogs and ended up talking to my wife and she mentioned how expensive gas was and how I should get my land rover filled up at costco gas asap. She said the gas pumps were on there way to 4 bucks a gallon right quick.
So I drove home and traded vehicles, (boy what a dream as I drove down the road in my burly disco. It drives like a dream. I love it still even after 2 years now.
Anyhow at the pump I pulled out my calculator and figured up the difference of 20 gallons of 2.94 compared to 20 gallons of 3.20 and it was 58.80 vs 64 and it comes to a whopping six pack of hollandish beer from trader joes.
Some would see this as fighting words, others as a soft thwap to the nuts.
wherever you fall, I hope things turn out for the better.

Moral, relax and do pushups if you cant afford that extra six pack a week fow a while. Or start having parties at your house and tell everyone to BTOB if they dont like Paps blue ribbon.
LOL.

Peace.

· Registered
590 Posts
darkknight1999 said:
I filed a complaint to the DOE last night... everyone else should do the same.
What is the DOE? :dunno:

· Registered
444 Posts
wondering what the DOE is as well.... sorry for the rant but.....

The gas companies have got us now, they see people east of louisianna going nuts to buy gas at 3.39 a gallon -6.35 a gallon so they now know that if all they do is go down to 2.50 we'll be so relieved and there they have us.... it has been a trend that has been occurring over the last 5-6 years raise real high in the summer and then level off .25-.70 cents higher then the previous year. I have heard the same that Gordon speaks of about the gas Cos. having record profits this year, I believe it was one of our local radio stations with a syndicated radio show, But my question is this, Katrina hit on Saturday, gas prices were steady sat, sun, mun, even most of the day tues, then all of a sudden yesterday the **** gets crazy and "we are out of gas" lets raise prices, newspaper reports it is from power outages and they need generators to get the thing running, how was the power not affected sun, mon, tues???? And the morning new that i watch everyday had a story 2 weeks ago talking about how gas prices were going to skyrocket throug Labor Day weekend and then level off the few following weeks but a a higher price then we were paying before.....hhhmmmmm seems convienient timing, I am sympathetic with the victims and I hope that every one is alright and that we get that help to them soon, so in the mean time lets raise the hell out of gas prices......... :mad:

and scene

· Registered
590 Posts
So, what can we do?.

I wish we could think of some grassroots way to screw up the damn oil companies and make them pay for the lack of integrity they constantly portray.

· Registered
1,131 Posts
Hailsharky said:
What is the DOE? :dunno:
Dept. of Energy.

My question is, and it might very well be ridiculously naive, why do the prices have to rise so dramatically when there is a natural disaster? It seems to me that it's all just a knee-jerk response to media hype and the inate behavior of the oil companies/gas stations, i.e., price-gouge whenever you can. Did our oil supplies suddenly drop? No. Did the price of oil increase overseas? Not from where it has been prior to the hurricane. Did we lose refineries in the South? Maybe to some degree, but not such that gas prices should rise in the rest of the nation. Now, I understand the economic impact of a disaster, but gas prices rising in this manner cannot be justified because a hurricane ravaged a large part of the Southeast.

HF is right. It's all a f*ckin' scam. They raise prices every year. We, as consumers, get used to the gradual increases. (I admit that I didn't think much about paying $2.75/gallon for the past several months.) We bitch a little, but don't do anything about it. We're so reliant on our autos (at least we are here in CA) that we won't seek alternate means of transportation. Of course, I as much to blame as the next guy. It's just that our public transportation system (again, mostly out here) isn't sufficent, efficient, convenient, etc. It's a big goddamn mess.

I'm gonna go live with Disco and just drink beer and drive through the bush.

· Registered
444 Posts
:complain: I think that Griff has a valid point... we don't do anything about it, the only thing that we could do would be not drive, I saw a report,study, article whatever it was that said if everyone in America refused to buy gas for two days that the fuel companies would loose some insane billions of dollars, and How is it that the Oil companies are showing record profits for the year and still saying that they have to raise them to make up for the cost of crude oil. I saw something on TV recently where they were talking about how much they actually get out of a barrell of crude oil and it was like 3 or 4 different things....I'll go sit in the corner and punch myself in the face now :complain:

· Registered
9 Posts
Re: Katrina and fuel prices

Katrina could not make a difference like that THAT FAST

In Australia I have been paying 1.20 AU a liter for the last 8 months.

Due to your Katrina that is rising, but we all have our homes.

Some people to you south have lost homes, job and car and a lot more.

Does the extra six bucks a tank really matter.

Ausie Kev

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.