Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1996 Discovery 1, V8 gas engine with 61K miles. The old Servo (Brake Power Booster) had an air leak. I replaced the servo and added a new master cylinder. I bled the system. I used to have a very hard brake pedal - now it goes to the floor on the first press, the second press gives me a good pedal. I can hear air moving from under the dash if i hold my foot on the brake pedal.

do i have a bad servo?
did i not install it incorrectly?
do i need to re-bleed the brakes?
maybe a vacuum leak elsewhere in the system?

thank you!

·
Super Moderator
2,322 Posts
You will likely need to bleed out the entire system.
Did you bench bleed the new master??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You will likely need to bleed out the entire system.
Did you bench bleed the new master??
I did not (but then I don’t m is what bench bleeding means). Will need to do some googling. If I did not do that do I need to or should I re-do the brake bleeding procedure over again?

·
Super Moderator
2,322 Posts
Normally you would pre bleed a new one before installing on the truck
This can be done by mounting it temporarily in a vice and stroking the master until it is no longer pumping air.
They sometimes come with little plastic tubes and fittings to direct the fluid and air back into the resivoir.
Alternatively you can depress the piston in the master and plug the holes while releasing until it no longer pumps air.
A
Quick YouTube search may explain better than my words.
After it is bled you will need to properly bleed the entire system

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Normally you would pre bleed a new one before installing on the truck
This can be done by mounting it temporarily in a vice and stroking the master until it is no longer pumping air.
They sometimes come with little plastic tubes and fittings to direct the fluid and air back into the resivoir.
Alternatively you can depress the piston in the master and plug the holes while releasing until it no longer pumps air.
A
Quick YouTube search may explain better than my words.
After it is bled you will need to properly bleed the entire system
thank you! I did some googling and i am now the proud owner of a master cylinder bleeder kit. thank you again - wish me luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
D1s are notoriously hard to bleed. At least you will flush all the old fluid out which probably needs flushing anyway.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
How are the brakes now? I had the same exact problem years ago, new mc and the pedal went all the way to the floor. Removed the mc, did a bench bleed, and problem was resolved. It seems to me that there were instructions included with the new mc which recommenced bench bleeding.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
brakes are great! the system needed to burp some big burps. the fluid in the system was root beer brown! once that was flushed out, a huge air bubble came out and then clean fluid. she doesn't stop on a dime, but she does stop eventually lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts