Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Discovery (Series 2) and I've attempted to find the "nipple" underneath my truck to engage the CDL. Can't find it.

Do I even have CDL?

Wanting to use it to bypass my front driveshaft until it is replaced or rebuilt.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Where exactly have you been looking for the shift nipple.
Look at the picture below, see the round plate held down by 3 bolts, the shift nipple is in the middle of that plate.

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where exactly have you been looking for the shift nipple.
Look at the picture below, see the round plate held down by 3 bolts, the shift nipple is in the middle of that plate.
Hello Mike:

I've looked and looked and I don't see that nipple anywhere.

Does anyone else have a picture of it actually installed under the truck?

·
Computer Nerd
802 Posts
You probably won't be able to SEE it. It's on top. You'll have to feel for it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Did you look at the picture I inclosed then go under the truck to reach up and locate it.
If it is not there and your production is no later then early May, you should have it unless it was replaced under warranty then they would have installed a non-CDL case.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you look at the picture I inclosed then go under the truck to reach up and locate it.
If it is not there and your production is no later then early May, you should have it unless it was replaced under warranty then they would have installed a non-CDL case.
Thanks Mike. I'll go under there tomorrow morning (when it's cool here in Dallas).

By the way, I looked at the sticker on my door jamb. My truck was made in Jan '01. It *should* have the CDL.

And something else surprised me...the thing weights 6,064 pounds!!! About a thousand more than I thought!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Thanks Mike. I'll go under there tomorrow morning (when it's cool here in Dallas).

By the way, I looked at the sticker on my door jamb. My truck was made in Jan '01. It *should* have the CDL.

And something else surprised me...the thing weights 6,064 pounds!!! About a thousand more than I thought!

Yeah, they are heaver than a lot of 1/2 to 3/4 ton trucks. get under the truck, reach above the front drive shaft (head towards the front of truck), and tp the transmission. feel to the rear a few inches.. if it's flat as heck.... no nipple. if you feel a stud about a half to 3/4rs'... you got nipple.

picture #16 shows it from the top.. good luck

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
CD, I believe that is the gross vehicle weight, from the factory they ran around 4600 pounds.

·
Enthusiast
3 Posts

That means that yours is a late-01. Usually they start making the next model year between March-August so by January of the next year, you would be at the end of the run.

I also do believe they removed the CDL of the transfer box in late 2001 so that would answer the question of why its not there. Also, a replacement transfer box may have been fitted before you owned it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That means that yours is a late-01. Usually they start making the next model year between March-August so by January of the next year, you would be at the end of the run.

I also do believe they removed the CDL of the transfer box in late 2001 so that would answer the question of why its not there. Also, a replacement transfer box may have been fitted before you owned it.
I crawled back under the truck today and can not determine if I have the "nipple". I did feel a stud protruding upward on top the t/c, but I couldn't feel a but in which to turn.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Was the stud part of a round plate held down by 3 bolts?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Was the stud part of a round plate held down by 3 bolts?
It *felt* like it. But when I tried to feel for a nut, there was nothing there to adjust.

When comparing your picture to what I felt, the protruding stud felt/looked a bit skinnier. Your picture shows a rather thick stud. And someone said earlier that the bolts were 10mm sized and my wrench did fit them.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you have a camera phone you might want to try adn slide it up the side of the tranfercase and take a picture side on (with the flash). that will give you a better view of what is up there and you can them post it here if you are still not sure.

·
Registered
32 Posts
According to the Ashcroft website:

... to determine this you will need to find the transfer case serial number and check it starts with either 41D or 42D. If it starts 61D, 62D, 69D or 70D then you will need the diff lock parts to go in the transfer case...

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Trust me, if he can't even find the shift nipple even with a picture supplied, he won't find the t/case part number.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, gentlemen. I've found the infamous "nipple" that I couldn't find. I had a friend help me using *his* fancy smartphone with flash. Took only minutes.

I also located the tag aforementioned in this thread, but it makes no mention of the Ashcroft codes previously cited?

Problem: The base of the nipple stud feels smooth -- I thought it had a 10mm nut that could be adjusted to "lock" the CDL. What gives?

20130831_200236.jpg

20130831_195833.jpg

·
Registered
115 Posts
Problem: The base of the nipple stud feels smooth -- I thought it had a 10mm nut that could be adjusted to "lock" the CDL. What gives?

The stud isn't round. It has two flats that a 10mm wrench will fit.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This morning and I went under and engaged my CDL. Yay! Now I won't have to worry about blowing my tranny with the front d/s with this *temporary* alternative.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts