Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· MG
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More ignorance from a newbie.

I tried it out this weekend: I shifted the diff lock lever from far right to far left (someone had posted a "graphic" showing that as the locked position), then took a couple turns on concrete. I guess I wasn't too surprised that the Beast made the corner with no problems (I was sort of expecting some stress along the drive shafts), but now I know that I can't lock the center differential.

From what I understand, this could prove to be a problem if one or more wheels lose traccion - in fact, a few months ago, beofre reading Disco's lectures on sand driving, I spent an hour digging myself out of sand because the front tires couldn't climb out of the soft stuff.

Is this something easily remedied, or am I going to have to purchase another piece of equipment?

Thanks in advance for any advice...

· Registered
51 Posts
I think you need to do a "better" test to see if it is indeed working. With the diff locked, one front wheel and one rear wheel should be getting consistent power. It will not lock both front wheels or both rear wheels, for that you need a Detroit locker or similar on that axle. Check out the bottom of this page for a diff test:
http://home.twcny.rr.com/eeibooks/rover/discodifflock.htm

Good luck! Post back and let us know how it turned out.

· MG
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.