Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rig is a 1998 disco I with 130k miles.
I hadn't driven it in 2 months, it would not crank. Charged the battery overnight, still no crank. Removed and tested starter, confirmed it was bad. Replaced starter, now I have no electrical power anywhere. Thinking it was the battery cables, both have been replaced, battery was also load tested, fuses were visually checked and look good. Main ground wires were cleaned and tightened. Could a faulty alternator cause a total loss of power? What am I missing? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

·
Premium Member
1,396 Posts
OK you charged the battery over night but did you measure the voltage on it while switching on to crank? ...if not do that cos old batteries once dead charging them is futile cos they'll not gain power again...also simply measuring voltage on it unloaded is irrelevant cos even if you see 12V it will drop to nothing under load

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The battery was load tested. Unable to check voltage when cranking, no electrical power anywhere. Thanks for your input.

·
Premium Member
1,396 Posts
I can't understand why you are unable to check voltage while cranking, ask somebody to turn on the ignition and measure on the battery cos if it's some short circuit the voltage drops even if the battery was tested... if no voltage drop on the battery measure on maxi fuse MF1 (100A) in the engine bay fusebox and if you have voltage there and nowhere else replace the fusebox

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, I misunderstood your reply. I cycled the key to the start position while monitoring battery voltage, it registered 12.5 volts while in the off position as well as with the key in the crank position. The master fuse registered zero volts in either position.

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
1,396 Posts
Then if the main battery lead is well connected to the fusebox better get a good one cos it seems that it's an interruption in there as the battery is hardwired to the fusebox and that fusible link should have power, see the diagram

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,986 Posts
Main junction is the positive post on the starter.
I would check it again

·
Premium Member
1,396 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts