Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Just like the title said, I was driving along and the two flashing green lights appeared. At that point the car would no longer move forward. I turned the car off and on, along with waiting for a few minutes. It would start but the two flashing green lights no longer appeared. Only thing I could do was drive her in reverse to get home. It was an experience driving 13 miles home in reverse but I made it safely.

What should I be looking for to get her running again?

T.I.A.

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya it was about 13.6 miles in reverse, driving up and down hills here in the MidWest
At one point a police officer asked what was I doing. I said "tryin to get home". He said be careful and drove away!

So you think I should be looking for something related to starter codes?

I am honored to be part of the Land Rover Loony Bin!

T.I.A.

1,855 Posts
Disco II fun!

· Returning Rover
123 Posts
Are the green flashing lights warning lights? Is it throwing and service codes?

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya Disco fun for sure!

After turning it off and back on again there is no flashing green lights anymore. All the while driving home backwards the green flashing lights never reappeared.
Service Codes:
P0722
P0160
P0154

Would have made a somewhat impressive YouTube video, I was doing about 10miles under the normal speed limit!

· certified idiot
694 Posts
both M and S flashing green generally means a battery fault or a fault in the wiring to the gearbox (often a ground fault) or a fault inside the gearbox. I have heard it reported to happen when the high low lever is not fully locked home but I have not seen that myself

Attachments

· certified idiot
694 Posts
your codes

P0722 - Output Speed Sensor No Signal
Possible causes
- Faulty Speed Sensor
- Speed Sensor harness is open or shorted
- Speed Sensor circuit poor electrical connection
P0722 Description
The speed sensor detects the revolution of the idler gear parking pawl lock gear and emits a pulse signal. The pulse signal is sent to the Transmission Control Module (TCM) which converts it into vehicle speed.

causes transmission shifting problems

P0160 - O2 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected Bank 2 Sensor 2

P0154 - O2 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected Bank 2 Sensor 1

cheers
Barri

· certified idiot
694 Posts
the video's you have posted are of the ABS sensors which monitor wheel speed and wheel slippage for the ABS system. The Output speed sensor is in the gearbox and monitors the speed of the shaft turning inside the box. Not the same sensors.
I have not heard of very many sensors actually failing but it is much more likely a wiring fault between the box and the TCU or more likely a ground fault in the harness. The TCU is not getting a signal it can understand so disables the box to protect it. Generally when you turn off and restart it goes away - if it doesnt it may possibly be the actual sensor rather than the wiring although a bad wiring fault can cause a continuous condition. If there has been a problem leading up to this or funny sounds it may be the transmission although they are pretty tough boxes.
read this
http://www.landroversonly.com/forums/f40/help-me-find-output-shaft-speed-sensor-please-90362/

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very good info!
To test for a bad ground or wiring issue can this be down on he outside or will I need to get inside the Tranny?
I am good with following very specific color coded paint by number like instructions! :)

Thank you again!

· certified idiot
694 Posts
It can all be done from outside the tranny. The wire testing is just tedious and has to be meticulous. trace the ground circuits first and check all of them, the TCU like all ecu's has its own ground for the 5v signal system check that too. wiring is listed in RAVE.

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hello again,

I changed the transmission fluid, and filter. Battery if fully charged and Alternator ground clean and tight.

While under the car I took an image of the XYZ switch. Is this normal, but my XYZ rod doesn't look straight. Would this have any affect on not getting the car moving forward?

Also I found a big heavy damaged wire on the passenger side slightly above the transmission, is this my transmission ground?

T.I.A.

Attachments

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Hello All,

Here is an update as of today.
I replaced the XYZ switch and still no go forward.
With the front end jack up I noticed the driver front wheel was spinning forward when applying a little press of the gas pedal, but nothing from the front passenger wheel.

Is this normal?
Am I getting closer to anything?

T.I.A.

· certified idiot
694 Posts
Hi Toran
the xyz switch looks fine. The wire is not the trans ground that is a small wire in the bundle between the box plug and the the TCU (transmission control unit). I dont know where the big wire is as there is no frame of reference in the picture but it looks like the engine ground to the frame. The front wheel spinning is how the differential works - all the power will go to the least restricted wheel - always.
If the vehicle drove 14 miles in reverse then there is probably nothing wrong with much mechanical on the axles on your vehicle.

Have you tried moving forwards in low range? have you actually tested the wiring between the TCU plug and the box? the plug is near the xyz switch on the box and the TCU under the drivers seat. The problem (if it is not a solenoid or the speed sensor) is probably in this harness. The ground I am talking about is the TCU (called transmission ecu in rave) internal ground. The control systems run on 5V and have their own grounds inside the electronic unit and the unit they are controlling. Also check the interior of the TCU for moisture and make sure there is no corrosion - should take you an hour at most to do it properly (with a helper)
good luck
Barri

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.