Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Disco II. My key FOB broke and the drivers side “key” lock on the door hasn’t worked in years. Went to local dealer and they gave me the complete run around! I just redid my tranny and there is no way I’m selling my ride. Please some one inform me how can I get my truck to start. Do I need to replace the Ecu, key ignition, and all lock so that they match new keys. Please help. I can’t trust the dealer and I really miss having my ride.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hang on. Don't panic.

What do you mean when you say "My key fob broke ..."?

If you mean the metal blade of the key came out of the fob and you can't get it to stay in the fob just take the key to a hardware store and get a new key cut.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The buttons to unlock the door and arm the alarm are like dry rotted. I took to the dealer and they “tried” to cut new keys but they didn’t fit the ignition. Which matters none because the alarm is armed. The FOB is destroyed and I can’t use the driver door key lock to sink the ECM.
So basically I have a running Disco but, no Key or Key FOB. Also lock on driver door striped and alarm is armed.
Went to the dealer and they were totally lost. Say I have an engine prob and they need to get my truck”started” to figure out the problem. I had my Disco towed away the next day. I welcome any help. Thanks

·
Registered
281 Posts
Okay. First, you say the fob is destroyed, but the only specific damage you note are the "dry rotted" buttons. The fob shell is just for convenience and looks. Pry apart the shell and you can operate the buttons on the circuit board inside to unlock and lock the truck. Check to confirm the red LED lights up when you press both the lock and unlock buttons. You can get a replacement fob shell on eBay for a few bucks. They come with a new metal key blade you can have cut.

But first things first. Let us know whether or not the red LED lights up once you remove the fob shell to get at the guts.

Also, where are you?

·
Registered
15 Posts
After years of use, the button itself wore out so much such that pressing on the key fob didn't actually touch the button on the circuit board. I opened the key fob, de-soldered the button, put something between the button and circuit board to lift the button up a little bit, and then re-soldered the button. It has been working for few years now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts