Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My D2 lost all oil pressure after I started it warm last week (made around 20 psi for a second or so, and then went right to 0. Dash light came on a half second later). Towed it into the garage, and drained the oil. There were no metal sparkles or sludge. I then cut the oil filter open, and it was clean, again with no metal or sludge.
I then dropped the oil pan, and it was also sludge free. The pickup tube was tightly installed, and the screen was completely clear.
I then pulled the front cover, expecting the oil pump to be in pieces (which I thought was strange, given that I put a new one in around 2,000 miles ago), but the oil pump looks basically brand new. I’m at a loss - what else could cause a sudden and complete lack of oil pressure on these engines? Pictures attached in case one of you sees something I don’t.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I am sure that someone who knows more about this than me will respond - but it sounds more like a problem with the sending unit than an actual oil pressure problem. Will be interested to see how this is resolved. Good luck.

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s an actual oil pressure problem I’m pretty sure. I have a mechanical gauge for that very reason - I don’t trust the idiot light on the dash. My actual gauge dropped to zero, and the dash light came on. In my mind that’s confirmation of an actual problem.

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That’s basically the only thing I can think of too - I read that there’s a pressure relief valve in there so it doesn’t exceed 50 psi. I’ve read that if it fails it can result in the condition I’m experiencing. I’ll strip the cover completely and have a closer look at it

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What about a clog at the inlet for the mechanical guage?
I thought the same for about a half second, until the dash light lit up. It’s on a totally different port, meaning my mechanical gauge is fine. I inspected everything to the sure, and sure enough, all of the ports in the front cover are clear and free of debris.

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stripped the cover today. It looks fine. The spring is intact, and the ports aren’t clogged. Only thing I can think of is that spring, which feels kinda soft when I pry at it with a screwdriver, but isn’t broken. I’m not sure how tight it’s supposed to be if course.

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, I give up. I ordered up a whole new front cover (with the oil pump and pressure valve) as well as a new pickup tube o ring and all necessary gaskets. If all that stuff doesn’t fix it I don’t know what I’m going to do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts