Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I think I jinxed her by praising how well she started in the cold after 2 weeks of sitting. So Thurs starter her up no prob, drive to the store and when I go to leave ...nada. Did not even try to turn over. Try a few things and then she starts like nothing happened. One more stop and she starts fine again. Friday morning, same thing... nada! Check battery-fine. Check and clean battery leads and earths. Still nada. Does not try to turn and no noise from the starter. Check ignition switch for loose wires- looks fine. Then again she starts. Drive around to charge battery just in case. Do my planned oil change for winter and the rest of the day she starts fine (even better with the thinner oil). And now... nada!

Enough ramble.

Specifics- Optima red battery (newish), original starter, rebuilt alternator (1-2yrs). Ignition switch has always been rough to put key in and out.
Tues-Thurs ... Hard starting due to cold and 20/50 oil. Loose alterator belt which I tightened. Another observation is all the electrical work great running or not, but last night I notice that the dimmer than normal while running (washer fluid is always lit so I know how bright it should be). And lastly after attempting to start her, when I return the key to the off position I hear a faint clicking/humming noise coming from the engine compartment.

So 1.could I have fried the starter with the hard starts? 2.could the ignition switch have failed?

:bawling:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Will not start....

Hi Kevin,
Its a long shot, but next time she wont start, push forward on the gear shift (presuming you have a auto transmission). There is a small contact that is made when in Park & Neutral, this is so the vehicle can only start when in these positions. I wonder if the contacts are dirty or not quite touching?
Long shot, but worth checking,
good luck. :)
Andy

·
Registered
57 Posts
Landy andy makes sense, you can also jiggle the gear shift in neutral. If the neutral switch is ok then I would suspect the starter selenoid or starting motor.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I think you guys are on the right track. I double checked & cleaned all contacts with no luck. Took a look at shifter and I got her to start. A nice solid start. Turned her off and tried again... nothing.

So the new questions 1. where are the Park&Neutral contacts? 2. how do I test the selonoid and can that be done in position?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:
She is fixed! (for now) I took a look at the starter soleniod relay and cleaned it then she fired right up... repeatedly! Hopefully that was the only factor.

Every day is a learning experience.

:beer: mmmmmmm that taste good.

·
Series Moderator
536 Posts
tag

the little terminal on the starter solenoid is the main culprit for this it can get grubby and cause the fault you have described so get a small wire brush give it a scrub and replace cover with a little silicone grease to weatherproof.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts