Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys new to the forum here. Ive always came through here and looks for answers to my questions but now i cant find any! So i figured i should sign up.

Me and my gf bought a 2001 land rover discovery series 2 a few months back, and we've kinda been having a few issues with it. It has about 155k on it.

So the main issue were facing now. A few days ago my gf was coming home from work, and pulled up to our complex gates and the car entered limp mode. (She recalls before going to work that day she had about a quarter tank of gas.)
she parks and calls me wah wah and i run down there, and try to start the car and it just turns over, but doesn't start. she insists its the battery/alternator, which the is just a little over a year, and the alternator is only like 3 months. Try to jump the car, doesn't work. My uncle is a mechanic so i called him to come by the next day to perform the starter fluid test. To see if its a fuel system issue or a spark issue. He comes by, the car starts up.

Next day we go get gas, car works fine.

Now today she is leaving for work and the car starts in limp mode. When i get home to check it, it starts up, there is no check engine light. everytime i try to go see how it acts for me nothing happens!

But what exactly causes this vehicle to go into failsafe? We have a fairly new battery, and the alternator is brand new. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We love driving this thing, and dont want to get rid of it. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sounds like it might be fuel pressure or you need a crank sensor. To check if it's the fuel pressure, there is a small valve like a valve stem that is sticking out the back of the intake on the left side, close to the firewall. When your rover won't start, take a key or something and push the valve in and hold for a moment. You should have a good amount of spray. The key needs to be on when you do this. If you have good pressure, try replacing the crank sensor. On the left side of the motor just above the oil pan to the rear of the motor. Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, ask and I'm sure someone can help

Mike Russell
Age 18
2003 discovery se
Lover of Rovers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.