Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· MG
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here's the latest "quirk" in the Beast: it won't start.

My father-in-law was driving it the other day and it just quit on him (that's a close a detail I'll be able to get on the failure). He had it towed home.

I just took a look at it (I was away on business, just got home):
  • I suspected that it was the battery, though we haven't had a battery light (like we have gotten on other occasions when the alternator went out). I cleaned the connections - I don't have testing equipment, so I have no way to know if the battery is ok, I'll take it to have it tested tomorrow.
  • When I try to start it, the lights all dim and the engine doesn't go over, it turns a little bit, like the starter is having trouble (either not enough juice or too much resistance).
  • Back under the hood, I get that ozone smell of a troubled electrical motor that seems to come from the starter area.
A low battery would not cause the motor to stop running entirely (I've had it happen before, when the alternator gave out, I know what it looks like), but neither should a bad starter, or am I way off base? I know, I know, until we've checked the battery, we're just speculating - but does anyone have any suggestions?

Wolf, I was thinking of you the whole time I was doing the battery check. I'm one of those people who are too lazy/intimidated (thanks for pointing that out Private Iron) by the whole vehicle DIY thing, but I sacked up and got over myself. I've got the workshop and haynes manuals and I've resolved to spend money on tools and upgrades, not shitty mechanics who don't care if the thing is done right or not (not a dig on technicians in general - I'm talking specifically about the mechs who I have to work with)...

Thanks guys! :drink1:

· MG
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Funrover said:
Bench test the starter!!!!!
I'm getting familiar with the workshop manual: I have found how to remove the starter - seems pretty straight forward.

What I haven't found is how to test the starter. I presume it's merely connect the starter to a battery, but, as I imagine that this part generates some interesting amount of torque, there must be some safety considerations...

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
I hold in down in a vice and use a jumper pace or battery charger and go for it...If you have an auto zone there they do it...But I think Mexico is the only other country w/ one..

· These pretzels are making me thirsty
317 Posts
me.guevara said:
thanks for pointing that out Private Iron
Hey man, I aim to please. :D
Seriously though, I gotta give it to ya for working on it yourself. It's been in my very limited experience (i am by no means a mechanic) that most things aren't as hard as you first thought, ya know. Course I say that now, wait until I have seriously screwed up a simple DIY project and have to bribe RoverX with beer to head to the Midwest to help me.

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
MG
You need to get a full battery charge, then have them load test it. If the battery is OK then go home and start the truck and go back to the shop and have the alternator load tested.
Assuming the connections are clean and tight, I am betting on thebattery/alternator combination.
Let us know.
Mike J.

· Registered
5,468 Posts
Private Iron said:
Hey man, I aim to please. :D
Seriously though, I gotta give it to ya for working on it yourself. It's been in my very limited experience (i am by no means a mechanic) that most things aren't as hard as you first thought, ya know. Course I say that now, wait until I have seriously screwed up a simple DIY project and have to bribe RoverX with beer to head to the Midwest to help me.

My money's on Mike's suggestion but I'll take a beer anyway. :drink1:

· MG
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the suggestions!

I followed a gut feeling and pulled the belt off - the Beast started right away! No battery or starter problem.

I suspect that the alternator has seized - going to pull that puppy out to have it checked (and patched, if possible) while a new Mean Green one gets here.

I'll keep you guys posted...

· MG
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's definitely the alternator. Check out the pix:

· MG
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So while I wait for the replacement alt, can someone help me out on the wiring?

On the last rebuild, they got rid of any sembalnce of connectors and soldered two of the three wires directly to the armature.
  • The thick one goes to the battery. It still has the round connector at its end.
  • There are two spliced wires, one is a thicker gage than the other. I pressume that the thinner one is for the indicator. What's the other one for?
  • What kind of terminations should I fit to them?
Thanks everyone!

Check it out:

· Registered
229 Posts
Wire

me.guevara said:
So while I wait for the replacement alt, can someone help me out on the wiring?

On the last rebuild, they got rid of any sembalnce of connectors and soldered two of the three wires directly to the armature.
  • The thick one goes to the battery. It still has the round connector at its end.
  • There are two spliced wires, one is a thicker gage than the other. I pressume that the thinner one is for the indicator. What's the other one for?
  • What kind of terminations should I fit to them?
Thanks everyone!

Check it out:

Your right the wire with the round terminal runs to the batt via the engine
fusebox the thin wire is for the tachometer and the other wire goes to the
D+ terminal on the back of the Alt.
I would wait to you have the new Alt before you make up new connectors.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.